Old Boat Hull Repaint

bobt59

Recruit
Hello I am new to the forum and I purchased a 15 Tri-Hull 1976 with a 70HP Evinrude. This is a boat that I will keep trailered.
I want to repaint the boat but I am unsure of the paint that was applied to the hull. The cap was painted with spray paint by previous owner. I washed and sanded it off.
The hull wasn't painted by previous owner but was painted at some paint in past 38 years. The hull Is not in bad shape a few scratches the I will take care of. After reading through the forum I am leaning toward using Pettits Easypoxy, primer,and fairing compound. I am unsure If I need to remove the hull paint or wash with dewaxer sand and then paint?
Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

bobt59

Recruit
Re: Old Boat Hull Repaint

I've been working on some of the hull scrapes and found PO used a white caulk on them. Looks as if he used bathroom caulk? I am going to V out these scrapes to clean before repairs. There are area's around the scrapes where this caulk was spread out to the hull. Is there a chemical that will remove the caulk?:confused:

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Old Boat Hull Repaint

Hiyas Bob and welcome to Iboats.

Yes you have to clean out the caulk and prep them for filler. Die grind, V sand them..whatever is the easiest way for you. Just make sure all of the little crumbs of caulk are blown/vac'd off before you start sanding. You wouldnt want to sand silicone ( or whatever ) into your paint job. I dunno about any special chemical ( other than "D-bond" ) that removes all types of caulk. You could try acetone seeing as this is going to be in your arsenal anyhow.

Dewaxing is a good idea before you start sanding. As far as taking off the existing paint completely..thats just hard to tell. I guess if its sticking well now..and it sands nice ( not gumming up your paper ) then go for the sand and paint option. I do things a bit different and always prime..but I really dont have a choice. Chose the paint product that fits your budget and talent. I used Easypoxy once..Im not a brush man so I guess I did alright. The one thing I remember being important was that final coat. Everything was sanded nice and soft..and a very clean shop spot. Not sure if you can buff that stuff though.

Anyways, Good luck and let us know how it goes.