76 glastron ski-flite tri-hull floor replace

Stewardson86

Recruit
Hello iam looking for help on how to replace my floor in my glastron tri hull I have started and didn't want to cut or wreck anything i shouldn't so I'm hoping I could get a few tips and tricks on how to replace the floor with out to much headaches.
image.jpg
The old low rider.

Rentaltux

Seaman
Re: 76 glastron ski-flite tri-hull floor replace

I would head on over to the restoration section, pour you self a beverage and start reading. Chances are if the floor is gone the stringers and transom are gone also. Generally rot starts from the bottom up. If that is the case you will really have to soul search and decide if you are up to the task or even want to. You will gets lots of help here but be prepared for a LOT of work and some $$$. Start reading and good luck!

R

Rentaltux

Seaman

I just realized you are from Regina.. Hi neighbor!!

Stewardson86

Recruit

I just realized you are from Regina.. Hi neighbor!!

Hey that's pretty cool and yeh I've heard its usually bottom up and really hope the transom is ok I don't want to go that far into it. but at the same time if I'm fixing something I'm going to do it right. I definitely want to fix it so i will be getting marine plywood. But I will be sending to a shop to put the floor in since I don't know how to do the floor properly. Guy said around a $1000 he would do it but I have to rip and tear the old floor out and clean it up nice. What's the easiest way to check if the transom is rotted out??

Rentaltux

Seaman

I am no expert but bouncing on the outdrive and checking for flex would be a quick and easy check but drilling some holes would be the only true way to check. Hopefully someone else can help with that procedure...

R

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!!!
Yup, Rentaltux has told you true!!! Drill down low with a 1/4" drill bit from the inside and only go about 1" deep. Put some tape on the drill bit so you don't go to deep. Check the shavings. If they are dark and wet then the transom will never dry out and will eventually rot. As stated, bouncing on the motor will detect if there's any flex. If it flexes just a little that's a big NO NO!!! I would advise not to use the boat unless it's only for cruising in calm water. If you will be towing skiers or tubers then the transom will need to be replaced. Chances are good if the transom is bad the stringers and bulkheads will be too. Are there any softspots in the deck?

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy smokes, a couple of locals on this thread! If and when you get you your resto, PM me and I'd be glad to share some info on distributors for materials (if you do decide to tackle yourself)! No fiberglass/composites retailers within 800km of Regina!

Like the others mentioned, if your floor is soft it usually means rotten stringers and possibly soft transom as well. I came to the same realization when I started tearing into my boat back in January. Actually, my floor was solid as a rock, but there were other tell tale signs.

Let me say this much, doing a complete resto, although maybe not in your immediate plans, can be a very rewarding experience. You'll learn a lot, and by the end know every square inch of your boat and know that it is in 100% ship shape. Doing a complete resto isn't for everyone, and will definitely cost some capital, but there is a HUGE amount of knowledge on this forum to help you get through.

Good luck and welcome aboard!