motor mounts Mercruiser 3.7L

dancewithme951

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I inherited a boat restoration project from a guy and, unfortunately, he didn't take pictures as he disassembled the hull. What I have now is a completely gutted hull so I have no way of knowing what the original motor mounting structure was to which the 1986 Mercruiser 3.7L 170HP front and rear motor mounts should be attached. And, HOW should they be attached...lag bolts, bolts & nuts?? Anyone out there with this sterndrive that can either explain or provide pictures so I can fabricate these?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Last edited:

dancewithme951

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: motor mounts Mercruiser 3.7L

Thanks Bob. Actually as part of the package I acquired a TON of his as yet unused materials...about 25 yards of fiberglass fabric, resin, and much more. And, he had removed ALL the old rotten stringers so in the engine area all that's there now is the v-shaped hull surface. And, he had already installed a few stringers - very nice job I must say - but just not in the engine area. I suppose I can just us the dimensional spec sheet I found for my motor and construct support members based on that.

Anyone else out there with pictures?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: motor mounts Mercruiser 3.7L

Thanks Bob. Actually as part of the package I acquired a TON of his as yet unused materials...about 25 yards of fiberglass fabric, resin, and much more. And, he had removed ALL the old rotten stringers so in the engine area all that's there now is the v-shaped hull surface. And, he had already installed a few stringers - very nice job I must say - but just not in the engine area. I suppose I can just us the dimensional spec sheet I found for my motor and construct support members based on that.

Anyone else out there with pictures?

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin' the way it's done is to hang the motor off the rear motor mounts,...

Align it with an alignment bar, 'n build up the front mount to match that point,...