Gunwale rod holder, reels rubbing on walls

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
I'm about to build rod storage under the gunwale of my aluminum starcraft, with most racks I have seen it looks like the reels will be rubbing against the walls. What's the normal solution to this?

I was thinking either add a little padding on the walls so the reels aren't banging as hard, or perhaps a little nub for the reels bracket to reset against which would keep them offset and tilted away from the wall...if that makes sense, a photo would describe that better.

I use medium to large saltwater spinning reels and definitely foresee possible reel damage from the bails banging on the walls.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Gunwale rod holder, reels rubbing on walls

More than likely all the reels are not going to be at the same level/distance as all the others, so may need to add a large padded area to cover all the different set ups...
Two things to think about, that come to mind right away is to make an upholstered pad with soft foam and wrapped in vinyl or a hard foam pad, also covered in vinyl...then just figure out a way to hang them or attach them to the gunwales...

Another idea in line with the 'nub' idea, is to build a stretched shock cord between the two rod holders so that the reels rest against the shock cord, instead of the gunwale...
If that works, then you could possibly add another removable/adjustable shock cord to go over the top of the reels to keep them from bouncing...
Good luck and be sure to let us know what you come up with...
:)

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gunwale rod holder, reels rubbing on walls

Thanks GT, I ended up mounting a few horizontal PVC rod holders with an L notch in them. the notch keeps them locked in and off the wall, and having them offset I can fit a good number of rods.

I hate to add more PVC rod holders to my boat, it always looks a little unfinished but it works and it's free :)