carpet

Provo5

Seaman
Hello,

I bought a 1999 bayliner 1850 3.0 a couple of weeks ago to restore. I have most of the rotten wood out but still need to remove the seating in the bow. My question is about the carpeting that runs up the sides and over the bow seating area. What purpose dose the carpet have? Is it just sound deadening? I plan to install new pleated vinyl on the sides but see no reason to install it over carpet again. The bow seating frame rotted because the factory drilled drain hole at the base then covered them with the carpet. The water that got through went straight to the foam area with no escape. I knew it was water logged just from towing it home.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: carpet

What purpose dose the carpet have?

Well Provo..for a cookie cutter boat it was probably the cheapest fastest thing they could put in there to get it off the line and onto the showroom parking lot.

Now dont get me wrong mate..im not saying that your boat is basically a fiberglass tub in which everything will eventually melt right into the bilge or anything..but..were all thinkin it ;)

You certainly found the right spot :)

Good luck on your build..keep us up to date with them naked pics.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: carpet

What did you decide concerning replacing the floor carpet in your boat? What is pleated vinyl?? Can you provide a link?