1986 Bayliner Capri 14' - Zero Experience - here we go...

Shane70

Cadet
IMG_20130401_144632.jpgHello everyone,

I came across this forum while searching for advice on fixing up my "new" boat and was please to see the exact same one already here and renovated. I paid $500 for her knowing what a mess she is but I'm ready to tackle it and am looking forward to the project.

However, the example boat here appears to have had much less damage than mine. I'm on a tight budget and am very anxious to hear opinions on minimum amount of tear out I need to do. Keep in mind this is finally out of the weather and will continue to be so if not headed out to, on, or coming from, the water. I'm aware cutting the rot out and replacing with quality marine plywood and re-glassing are definitely in order but there are some specific questions I have in mind that I will post soon.

My first question is this. What's the best way to cut this stuff out? Angle grinder / cutter? I don't want to cut out stuff that is still solid but I understand that I have to have good clean and solid edges to match up to.

2nd - How can I tell what's the inside glass and how deep to cut in some areas when I know I'm actually close to the underside boat hull which has no holes (yet) and I don't want to cut too deep and make more problems.

Thank you for your feed back and advice.

Last edited:

jfas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri 14' - Zero Experience - here we go...

Hey Shane!

Welcome aboard, looks a lot like my boat when I started.

JFas

Shane70

Cadet
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri 14' - Zero Experience - here we go...

Sorry about the pics... work firewall not letting me upload. Will do later tonight.