Transom repair 16ft flat bottom jon boat

yknoh

Cadet
So iam going to replace my transom. Most everything ive been reading says use marine grade plywood.
A carpenter buddy of mine "not a boat repair person" says he thnks i should use a solid peice of wood maybe white oak cover it with about 3 coats of marine varnish and then cover exposed side with a sheet of galv steel. The transom that is in there is a type of plywood 1.25 inches thick. I want to do this only once seeing how im gonna have to remove and replace butt load of rivets. Would love to get some feed back on this. Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Transom repair 16ft flat bottom jon boat

Good luck finding a stable 48" long (or more), 8" wide (or more), 1.25" thick piece of white oak.

I'd replace what's there w/ similar: plywood. Encapsulated in epoxy and painted (or varnish) to protect it from UV. A piece of 1/2" & 3/4" laminated together w/ gorilla glue, epoxy or TiteBond3. There is likely to be other plywood in your boat that may also need to be replaced if the transom does.

I also wouldn't use galv steel in a tin boat.

Store it well covered, bow high, drain plug out.........

yknoh

Cadet

**jbcurt -i think u r absolutley right about plywood. Using ply wood is what im reading is the best way to go. Do u think epoxy would be better than varnish? I have never used epoxy. As far as the galv steel i just wanted some kinda flat metal on exposed wood for extra strength. My 20 hp just clamps on kinda puts a lot of pressure in small area where screws on to wood. Im kinda worried about reaching 1.25 inches too. Cause it has to be exact to go back in rivet holes for braces on ends and bottom of transom. Once i put epoxy or varnish on 1.25 inches of wood it might be too thick???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You will not be too thick ;) I have used BOTH epoxy then varnish. Epoxy will break down in the sun due to the UV exposure so the marine varnish (Exterior varnish) has the uv protection

I have also used 1/2" plywood and laminated multiple layers.

Grab your supplies here Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building

Post a few pictures too. picture instructions http://forums.iboats.com/non-boating-technical-topics/how-posting-pictures-videos-533219.html

Really no need for extra metal.....the wood transom done properly will need nothing.......... however....visit your local highway dept and ask if they have an old street sign which are high grade aluminum :)

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

In reality, a pc of 1/2 & a pc of 3/4" laminated together won't be 1.25" anyway (15/32" + 23/32" at MAX) so you've got plenty of room to add 2 coats of epoxy.

My Duracraft transom was 1.25", I made it this way ^^^ and it fits under the transom lip perfect:
IMAG1111_zpsb317f750.jpg

and left me lots of room for the epoxy. I'm putting 2 coats on each face & coating the edges w/ EVERY face coat (so the edges will have 4 coats).

For working on & repairing an aluminum boat, make friends w/ your local recycling yard. Several fella's around iboats have gotten great deals on small 'scraps' of aluminum stock, old signs and even boat trim, parts & pieces. Paying a little more by the pound then the recycler paid originally to whoever brought it in.........