Screws broke off in transom

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I was taking my transducer(old) off and the four screws broke off. Should I put 5200 over the holes?

pckeen

Commander
Re: Screws broke off in transom

You definitely want to seal that. 5200 is a reasonable choice. Did they break off inside the transom itself, or do you have part of the screw poking out? You may want to try a screw extractor.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Putting 5200 over the holes wont really do much. If your going to mount another ducer over the area..and it covers the screw pattern..then you could just leave them in there. You can leave them in there regardless. Just die grind the holes along with the screws enough to put some glass putty over them. Im sure they are #8 screws.. might be kinda hard to extract those little guys but you can try.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If they rusted out and broke off, that could indicate water behind the glass on your transom causing the rust. Usually Stainless screws are used, what was used here?

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Good point ^. I saved the screws so I will take a looksee and see if they were stainless steel.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Oh Im sure they are stainless..but really at this point its a moot issue. Say there is water in there..your not going to get it out now :). It is what is it as they say. I guess you could take a meter or start poking around to look for a rotting transom..but..well..you know how thats going to end up :faint2:.

Oh and Stainless isnt at all that strong..its easy to snap a head off of a #8 screw if your pilot hole is too small. Or even if you try to over tighten them..Pow!

Good luck and let us know how it goes..