17' Larson Keel repair-am I on track?

DPManley

Cadet
This is my 1967 Larson (model unknown)
P1080418.jpg
Part of my winter repair is to properly repair the hull. It has a lot of wear and several PO repairs. I cannot flip the boat so I am working upside down and on the trailer. I will lift the boat slightly so the roller is not blocking my work ? should be mostly clear.
101_0177.jpg 101_0176.jpg101_0173.jpg
I have been reading a lot of posts and I think I can handle this. Any advice, pointers or references to other threads is appreciated.
Keel has wear and some light damage. In one spot I think there is almost wood showing. I think I need to build up the thickness before I seal it.
101_0175.jpg
I plan to repair as noted below, repaint or gelcoat from keel to first strake only. Spot repair outside of first strake.

Here is the short version of what I plan to do:
1. Sand/grind (see questions below)
2. Scrape any scratches or holes to a ?V? shape for filling.
3. Wipe with acetone
4. Fill voids ? scratches, holes, gouges if any - with PB (Resin mixed with chopped strand and cab-o-sil to the consistency of peanut butter)
5. Sand smooth, wipe clean
6. Coat 8" wide with resin (mixed with cab-o-sil so I can work up side down, not as thick as PB)
7. Apply a 6? wide CSM from above the worn area to below it ? about 6 feet of the Keel
8. After wetting and cure, apply 10?wide cloth 2? longer than CSM
9. After wetting and cure, apply 14? surface veil to make smoothing easier
10. Smooth (light sand?) and apply Gel Coat or paint
Questions:
1. How much to I have to remove? Is just a hard sand of the remaining gel coat OK? Do I need to grind?
2. Have I designed a good set of layers? Too little? Too much?
3. I am scared of attempting a gel coat this big ? between the first strakes, 8 feet long, about 20 square feet, lying on my back ? with no experience. Should I just paint?
Any pointers on working completely upside down?

Note: I am also doing a floor replacement. I will be opening a separate thread for that when I have something worth sharing.

Thanks,
Dave M

Last edited:

DPManley

Cadet
Re: 17' Larson Keel repair-am I on track?

Hoping for some feedback here - is my fiberglass plan ok or am I doing it wrong?

DM

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 17' Larson Keel repair-am I on track?

Someone will chime in for ya I have no idea when it comes to fiberglass