Floor replacement help / questions

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
So im getting ready to jump into the floor replacement on my 1994 Chaparral 230. Had a few questions as to what materials / techniques to use.

So im planning on replacing the plywood with a new material called Advanteck. Material was recommend to me by several people and is available locally. Anyone ever used it? I figure I will remove everything and hopefully use the reemains as a template for the new panels.

When I go about the reinstall do you recommend using a liquid nails or similar product between the flooring and stringers. Also figure ill use stainless deck type screws to attach the flooring to stringers.

What should I use for filler between the sides of the boat and the new flooring. I assume a fiberglass peanut butter solution is needed. What mixture would you recommend? Ive read about people saying not to use a mix which is too ridgid.

Is the filler even needed? If I could get the seam small enough would only the top fiberglass matt be enough. I figure if I use liquid nails etc that would fill in the gap as well.

Do all seams need to have fiberglass over them? I plan on spraying a bed liner material which is waterproof over the entire floor. Would that be enough? Kinda worried about the boat flexing and seams cracking but not sure what was typically done.

Just curious if anyone has some suggestions or sees anything that stands out as horribly wrong.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor replacement help / questions

Are you talking about this stuff...AdvanTech Flooring, AdvanTech Subflooring, AdvanTech Floor | Huber Engineered Woods ???
If so, I'd call the MFG and ask their Technical support about how polyester resin would adhere to their product. It has some specialized coating on it from what I've read so not sure how it would effect the bond. It looks like it's quite water resistant and might be a good candidate for decks etc but being "Chip Board" I'm skeptical until I research it more thoroughly which I WILL do. I will be calling the MFG and ask some hard questions.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you talking about this stuff...AdvanTech Flooring, AdvanTech Subflooring, AdvanTech Floor | Huber Engineered Woods ???
If so, I'd call the MFG and ask their Technical support about how polyester resin would adhere to their product. It has some specialized coating on it from what I've read so not sure how it would effect the bond. It looks like it's quite water resistant and might be a good candidate for decks etc but being "Chip Board" I'm skeptical until I research it more thoroughly which I WILL do. I will be calling the MFG and ask some hard questions.

Yup thats the stuff. I can tell you from handling the stuff its super strong... Im so far very impressed by its strength and water repelling properties. Its also quite a bit heavier than a traditional plywood but that doesnt really bother me

Good idea about calling the MFG. Ill do that a long with a sample test to see how Epoxy bonds with it. I know when I had Linex quote spraying the interior of my boat they suggested using the stuff. So I at least know Linex will bond with it.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, any reason to not use something like Liquid Nails to bed the front structure which the seat cushions set on. Looks as if they have a waterproof glue which is capable of bridging gaps up to 3/8 in. Thought it may be quicker and easier than PB

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well when you call the manufacturer ask about marine use. I do not believe there are any boat manufacturers using it for decking. It is used for hatches.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Then based on it's weight and it's chip board composition, it sounds like AdvanTech isn't an ideal choice for boat decks &/or structure, IMO,

Use PB, not liquid nails, to bed your bow structure and the rest. Although it's listed to bridge a 3/8" gap, it's likely to sag out, bubble & generally be a mess to deal w/ compared to the PB. You will be using ALL the materials necessary to make any PB you need from thin & runny, to thick & substantial, anyway to do the rest of the resin & glass work you'll be doing. You'll just be using a little bit more of it all to bed the boat's structure................

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I believe the Advantech uses a phenol (epoxy) based resin to bond it together and I wouldn't use it if you plan to use polyester resin for your fiberglass layups, but if you're going to fiberglass with epoxy resin you should be good to go.

I haven't seen any fiberglass restorations done with the Advantech in this forum, but there has been 1 or 2 aluminum boat decks installed with this product and as far as I've heard the people that have used it are pleased with it.