Need some "type materials" recommnedations

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is a 1989 Larson DC 170, fiberglass, and has a 3.0 Mercruiser and Alpha 1.

I have been reading and following many of the re-builds here on the forum trying to learn how to accomplish my "minor repairs" in the most efficient and cost effective way. I'm now at the point of installing a new partial deck. I plan on screwing and gluing the deck in, the glue will be Locktite PL construction glue because of cost and availabilty. Anyway, my main questions here are:

- when I tab the new plywood in with the old, what would be the best type material in regards to the
type cloth/mat?
- there will be some small gaps between the new plywood deck and the remaining old deck, possibly up to
a 1/4". Will these gaps require filling of any kind?

I'm am basically doing what I call a very good patch job on it as even though I like the boat, I don't feel its large enough, "cool" enough, and not new enough to do a complete rebuild on it. Just a descent little boat to get out to the lake with. My goal here is to sturdy it up, and feel safe in it and get a few more years service out of it. About 50% of the deck was soft, stringers have rot in some places, but solid in others, and the transom has zero rot....which surprised me.
Thanks for suggestions. Rick

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some "type materials" recommnedations

A few questions. What have you done to ensure that the transom has "zero rot"? Have you checked the Motor Mounts for rot? Where is the "Partial Rot" in the stringers? What portion of the Deck are you planning on replacing? Does the boat have Flotation Foam between the stringers? Have you checked to see if the foam is water saturated? Would you mind posting pics so we could all see what you're working on?

What you're suggesting, IMHO, is never a good idea. The stringers are an important structural component for the hull. If the hull is full of foam and if the foam is saturated with water, it can add hundreds of lbs of weight to your boat. We're all about safety here on the forum and don't want anyone to have problems in the middle of the lake. Your description makes the boat sound like it needs to be repaired properly to make it safe. I KNOW there are thousands of boats on lakes every year that are in the same condition, or worse, than yours and they make it through without issue. But I also know there are hundreds of unfortunate accidents each year caused by boats in this kind of condition as well. Having asked and said all this, I'll say what I always say...It's your boat...and you're free to do with it as you see fit. We're here to offer advice as we see fit. Hopefully we can meet in the middle somewhere!!!;)

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Tab with1708. Fill gaps with resin mixed with which ever filler you want. Or just use body filler (bondo) it works fine.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few questions. What have you done to ensure that the transom has "zero rot"? Have you checked the Motor Mounts for rot? Where is the "Partial Rot" in the stringers? What portion of the Deck are you planning on replacing? Does the boat have Flotation Foam between the stringers? Have you checked to see if the foam is water saturated? Would you mind posting pics so we could all see what you're working on?

What you're suggesting, IMHO, is never a good idea. The stringers are an important structural component for the hull. If the hull is full of foam and if the foam is saturated with water, it can add hundreds of lbs of weight to your boat. We're all about safety here on the forum and don't want anyone to have problems in the middle of the lake. Your description makes the boat sound like it needs to be repaired properly to make it safe. I KNOW there are thousands of boats on lakes every year that are in the same condition, or worse, than yours and they make it through without issue. But I also know there are hundreds of unfortunate accidents each year caused by boats in this kind of condition as well. Having asked and said all this, I'll say what I always say...It's your boat...and you're free to do with it as you see fit. We're here to offer advice as we see fit. Hopefully we can meet in the middle somewhere!!!;)
Wog, you never answered any of my questions, you just asked me questions. Thanks anyway Rick

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tab with1708. Fill gaps with resin mixed with which ever filler you want. Or just use body filler (bondo) it works fine.

NSB, thanks, that's pretty much what I had thought. I'll use resin in the gaps, never had any idea that Bondo could be used. Thanks again....Rick

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm sorry you feel that way Rick, but, I believe I answered all of them with this statement..."What you're suggesting, IMHO, is never a good idea. I asked the questions in order to get a better feel for the rebuild and what all you have done so far. My last statement in my previous post pretty much covers the rest.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Either give or throw the boat away if you aren't going to fix it right.

I'm from the old school of "If it's worth fixing, it's worth fixing right".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You got similar "Questions" from your original post back in January...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...on-have-few-questions-637061.html#post4478248 That's why the Forum Rules and Guidelines recommends that you not open multiple threads about the same project. It leads to confusion. Had I been aware of this former post, I would not have asked the questions I did, but my recommendations and statements would have been the same as the last paragraph. JNG is correct. We are all about doing it right and what you are wanting to do, again this is my opinion and evidently JNG's too, is not the right way to address the problems your boat has. Partially rotten stringers should not be covered up. At the very least the rotted portions should be removed and new pieces should be fabricated and "Sistered" into place. All know rotted wood should be replaced. One further note to be aware of All Bondo filler products use talc. Talc will eventually absorb water. This may take some time but it will occur especially if the outer coating is damaged in any way...i.e. scrathes or gouges. Marine fillers use cabosil which will not absorb water making your repair water proof. And making your own filler is much more economical.;)

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Either give or throw the boat away if you aren't going to fix it right.

I'm from the old school of "If it's worth fixing, it's worth fixing right".

LOL, a bit of a tough group here....and maybe a bit arrogant... I indicated what I was trying to accomplish and the reasons as to why. It will be repaired well enough to be used safely for several more years, I'm very sure. I have assisted in the replacement of transoms, stringers, bulkheads and such in the late 1970's and 1980's and I know how to sample the same and what to look for. I just asked a couple simple questions that I see now that I probably shouldn't have asked....here. I belong to many other forums and I am very experienced with engines, transmissions, dirt bikes, ATV's, electrical, carburetors and such and I give my "Recommendations" freely, to help others, and I would certainly never tell anyone to throw or give something away, that's just plain rude...LOL