Floor re-build question

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor re-build question

The best way to use pour foam is to not depend on it for any purpose other than the space it takes up to provide flotation, and then isolate it from any water contact.

Pouring it into something similar to garbage bags and not having it sit right on the hull would be one option. This will help prevent water absorption and make it very easy to remove it in the future when other work may be needed.

For someone that would like to keep their boat for a very long time, having an easily removed floor with foam that can be pulled out, plus no wood, makes for an easy to live with boat that can last through several generations. It can also be modified in the future with little effort. Accessing wiring, fuel tanks, plumbing, leaks, damage, etc, goes from being a nightmare to a simple afternoon job.

Glass boats aren’t made this way due to time and cost, without too much extra effort an owner can rebuild it this way.

As for stringers, hollow, no core at all, with enough limber holes to allow quick draining to an area where the water can be removed. This eliminates the need for the PVC pipe and sealing up anything, water will then have little to no effect an anything.

Last edited:

frankk

Seaman

OK, did a few more hours tonight on the boat, the area on the stern is drying out, looking like others pictures. Almost all the foam is out of the boat. I estimate about 600 lbs of soggy foam was removed! I am feeling more and more confident on doing this job! If you look the boat is slumping just a little bit due to the plywood out. I will be looking for some jack stands and bring it up just slightly using the existing plywood as my guide, then removing the last pieces of plywood almost last. I think I am getting it! The foam is not part of the strength of the boat! The stringers will need to be glassed in when I finally figure out how they "get level" I like some of the suggestions about using plastic to keep it easy to remove for the next guy, also isolating the foam from the hull. In the event there is a little water it is not immediately soaked up by the foam, does this make sense? Then putting the floor back in with screws and cutting 2" holes before I pour the foam in. Does this make sense? I am becoming one with Too Cute.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I used the high density, 2 part foam in a boat where I replaced the deck. I liked the way the deck in my other boat, A '64 MFG had an all fiberglass/no wood floor so I filled it with foam and glassed right over it. I first tried to do it in one pour with bad results so instead did it a section at a time which left no voids. Then used a saw blade to flatten where the foam bulges up (and it always bulges up), sealed the top of the foam with resin and then 2 thick layers of glass.
foampour.jpg
Worked for me. If it ever gets soft, (so far 2 years and fine) I'll add another layer of glass.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I wouldn't glass over a soft deck, ever...............