Bayliner 160OB Floor is Rotted

nickcasa

Seaman
Well I thought a simple carpet job would be easy....oh boy.....floor was poly resin'd over, chipped all that up, plywood is wet, i can put my finger through it, never would have guessed though as the poly was strong as hell, foam is wet, but i want to get it fixed right, trying to find someone now, i can probably demo it with some pointers....i am in west palm beach should someone want to make some money to take this on for me. I do have a question though, my boat is 2001, same layout as the one pictured....all the grey carpet is gone....is there wood underneath the bow seats as well that could be damaged? it's all fiberglass and gelcoat upfront and doesnt seem so. 2 guys from craigslist said dont rip up the floor as it will harm the structural integrity of the boat, they rec'd to lay plastic type resin sheets over the top of it, for about $800, not sure about that. i really like the boat, engine is great so kinda torn what to do. will the stringers be ok? are they wood in these boats? lots of questions and i really just need some advice. i cant afford a shop to do this, probably be around 3k and i only have 1k to spend on something like this. any advice would be great....thank you all

Attachments

• 160ob.jpg
    160ob.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bayliner 160OB Floor is Rotted

I dont know that boat and how its built, but if there is rotten wood, i don't think laying more resin/plastic/whatever over top of it is a good idea at all... heh, and leaving rotting wood to its own devices will NOT harm the structural integrity of the boat eventually? :lol: Sounds like the CL suggestions are a band aid fix, and what is rotten will just continue to rot further IMO.. Like slapping bondo/filler over a rusted out hole in a car.. sure, might look ok for a while but its not gona last.

David Hard

Cadet
i am about to take a floor out off a bayliner 1600 capri cuddy the whole floor is rotted out. i will let you know how that goes.as of right now i have re,oved the seats and my next step is o remove all the interios trim insides and carpet. i can not afford a shope either so well see how this goes