is a raven hull worth redoing

bud450r

Recruit
I got this 21ft raven with 454 and bravo drive, upon close examination, all wood is rotten, stringers, transom, mounts, everyting, is this boat worth redoing, or should I give up and find something different, and some idiot tryied screwing seat down and put 3 screws thru side of boat, just woundering if its worth it, thx

Attachments

• 1394997868194_IMG_20140316_142023_639.jpg
    1394997868194_IMG_20140316_142023_639.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: is a raven hull worth redoing

Hi and Welcome to the Iboats.com dry dock, bud450r...
You are asking the one question that only you can answer...
The best answer I could give you is to ask yourself several questions...
Is the price right?
Do you love this boat?
Is the engine and drive working or worth spending money on?
Are you willing to take on a huge project that can cost a lot of green and take up all of your spare time?
Do you have a place to work on the boat?
Do you have a bunch of tools, or are you willing to buy them?
Do you have a Family and are they 'onboard' with what this project is going to require of you?
And, I will repeat...Is the price right and is this the boat you have always wanted and are willing to restore and keep for many, many years of enjoyment for the absolute lowest price you could ever get a boat like this and know that it is probably built better than the manufacturer ever did?;)
If you can answer YES! to all of the above then my response would be YES! it is worth it...
Keep us posted as to what you decide...and, if you decide to restore it...You are in the best place on the interweb to get all the info and help you would need to do so...
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)

bud450r

Recruit

IMG_20140223_164445_708.jpgIMG_20140406_192235_082.jpgIMG_20140406_192252_741.jpgIMG_20140323_142942_711.jpgView attachment 227835
Hi and Welcome to the Iboats.com dry dock, bud450r...
You are asking the one question that only you can answer...
The best answer I could give you is to ask yourself several questions...
Is the price right?
Do you love this boat?
Is the engine and drive working or worth spending money on?
Are you willing to take on a huge project that can cost a lot of green and take up all of your spare time?
Do you have a place to work on the boat?
Do you have a bunch of tools, or are you willing to buy them?
Do you have a Family and are they 'onboard' with what this project is going to require of you?
And, I will repeat...Is the price right and is this the boat you have always wanted and are willing to restore and keep for many, many years of enjoyment for the absolute lowest price you could ever get a boat like this and know that it is probably built better than the manufacturer ever did?;)
If you can answer YES! to all of the above then my response would be YES! it is worth it...
Keep us posted as to what you decide...and, if you decide to restore it...You are in the best place on the interweb to get all the info and help you would need to do so...
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)

thx for reply, u know I ask myself that question every day i get covered in fiberglass, I thought the price was good at first, 500 bucks, I took engine out and it was terrible, I added a pic, its in shop now, I investigated the floor, and its like the rott was never ending, everything was rotted, I took mounts out today, not really sure they was right, no glass stuck to them, it just seems like no end to the rot, how should I do mounts, its one of them projects that starts getting to ya, if I ever get to to end, what u guys think about materials, I had in mind-1 roll 1.5 cfm, .5 roll 1708, 10 or 15 gal poly resin, not sure how many pl, or 1/4 chopped stran,or the stuff to make pb, cab sol or something like that, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated , thx heres couple pics of my headache View attachment 227827View attachment 227828View attachment 227829View attachment 227830View attachment 227832

jbcurt00

Staff member

I had in mind-1 roll 1.5 cfm, .5 roll 1708, 10 or 15 gal poly resin, not sure how many pl, or 1/4 chopped stran,or the stuff to make pb, cab sol or something like that, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Not enough glass, and not remotely enough poly resin. This list is for doing a typical 15ft boat w/ 2 or 3 stingers (12ft+/-) transom & deck:
View attachment Fiberglass repair MaterialsList.pdf <<<---Thanks WOG

Yours will require more glass for the stringers (yours should be longer & more then 2 or 3) plus motor mounts, yours will be more likely to have bulkheads near the below deck tank & between the stringers, your transom could be taller & wider (being an I/O it may only be a center section transom), your deck will be both longer & wider, and you'll need some more materials for any & all interior structure that needs to be rebuilt.

Given all that, you also need to know that whatever you spend putting this Raven back together, it is likely to be at least as expensive as the boat is worth, so you'll be out your labor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Let's say you spend $7,500 getting the motor done and fixing the boat back to like new condition. I'd challenge you to go find a comparable boat, in todays market for that price.:joyous: If you don't mind the Hot, Itchy, Yucky work and you like the look and style of the boat, then Yeah i'd say it's defintely worth it.;) But Hey, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Let's say you spend $7,500 getting the motor done and fixing the boat back to like new condition. I'd challenge you to go find a comparable boat, in todays market for that price.:joyous: If you don't mind the Hot, Itchy, Yucky work and you like the look and style of the boat, then Yeah i'd say it's defintely worth it.;) But Hey, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

I absolutely agree ^^^ Probably better then new. And you'll spend the $7500 over time as necessary, not monthly like a boat payment and not nearly as long as a new boat's payments.

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a nice looking boat! Like the other fellas are saying, it's going to be a labour of love. GT1M asked all the right questions, and ultimately you'll have to make your own decision. I'm currently doing a complete resto (stringers, bulkheads, engine mounts, transom, deck) on a slightly smaller boat, all said and done, I'll be in it for around 30 gallons of resin, 35 yds of 1708, 30 yds of CSM, 12kg of cabosil, a few kg of chopped strand, and a whole lot of other misc supplies. Give or take, $2,000 in glassing supplies. That being said, I may be over doing it on the materials in a few places, but she'll be solid. Either way it should give you an idea of what you're needing. The good news in your case, the more rotten the easier it should be to do the demo!

Good luck!