1989 Glastron Hull / Restoration

jayman88

Recruit
ey lads

im currently restoring (the works) a 1989 Glastron Ski Boat, i found a bit of rot in the rear corner panels that hold the foam blocks which isnt going to be much of a job to fix but my major concern was getting a good idea of the condition of the the timbers under the floor before i start chhucking $$ at it, now after taking out a small section of flooring in the centre of the boat out today, i discovered it was entirely filled with yellow foam (expander foam) now is this a sure was to insure me the main stringers are still in good nick or whats the go? any feed back is appreciate, and an opinion on the hull itself if someone has knowledge on them would be good, its running a 150hp outboard, the transam is solid as a rock.

thanks guys

zool

Captain
Re: 1989 Glastron Hull / Restoration

Hey jay, welcome to Iboats drydock.

Glastron is a good boat, in fact, theres usually a few different models being built at most times. Having flotation foam doesn't really determine how the substructure faired. To check the condition of the stringers, you need to drill into the base areas to see the condition of the wood under the glass lams. Any medium size bit will do. You can check the condition of the foam with a piece of pvc pipe, with some teeth cut into one end, twist it down all the way to the hull bottom to see if its wet. Do these tests in a few areas near the lowest part of the boat. Its good that your transom feels solid, but you need to test that too, in a few places near the bottom....just drill from the inside, and NOT thru the outer skin..check the shavings.

Before you start, open a free photobucket account, and upload some pics, open an individual pic and click on the IMG code on the right side , bottom link til it says copied, and past it in the text here....we want to see it ;).