1985 Bass Tracker TX17 restoration attempt

Patsway

Cadet
Hello everyone
I just purchased a 1985 TX17 Tracker for harly anything. I think i know now why it was so cheap. It is a mess, the carpet is nearly coming apart, the consoe is falling apart, etc,,. I still want to attempt to rebuild the boat to something I can use to go out fishing on my few days off. I know I need to start with tearing out the floors but...I know the boat must leak some as the foam in the back of the boat is basically mildewed it is so waterlooged. Should I just reove everything including the foam and then start looking for leaks. I am totally new to this but am fairly handy with a love of fixing things and willingness to try, any help would be greatly appreciated on this huge project for me. Also the transom is wooden and looks ok but i would like to replace it if possible. Thanks to everyone on this board for your help

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Bass Tracker TX17 restoration attempt

Hi and welcome to the Iboats.com dry dock, Patsway...
Sounds like you are ready, willing and able to tackle this big project...
Keep removing stuff from the boat until you are ready to pull the cap off...
Remove the engine and all the controls, cut away the deck using a circular saw set to the depth of the deck, plus a tiny bit more and cut a couple/3-4 inches from the edge of it, dig out all the foam, remove the rub rail, etc...
Then you'll need to make a solid support for the hull before you remove the cap to insure it stays in the correct shape...
Take lots of pictures so you can post them here, they help us see what you see and give the best advice as to how to proceed with the restoration...they also help to document your build for your reference and they can help future boat restorers...
The really knowledgeable folks here will be here to guide you along.
Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M:)

Patsway

Cadet

thanks for the quick response. I will take pics of the boat in the morning and post to help me and all the experts on here understand what is the best way to start tearing this boat apart. I know it needs just about everything done to make it fishable again but i have plenty of time. tHIS ISPROBABLY A QUESTION FOR LATER BUT what do I need to expect to find at te bottom of the boat interior. I expect the foam is waterlogged but what are the stringers made of? wood i assume. If that is the case willI need to replace those as well? That seems like a total rebuild of the boat, has anyone on here replaced stringers for this model boat?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yes, more than likely the stringers and transom are plywood that has been covered in fiberglass and it is very likely that all of it will need replacing...
As far as someone having the same model, it is really not an issue as most fiberglass boats are essentially built using similar methods and materials.
The most important factor is that you take lots of notes and measurements, along with pictures, to help you when the time comes to put everything back together...
Oh and I almost forgot...
The folks who post on here, a lot of them have gone through this or are in the process...if you look at the bottom of their response, many have a signature which includes a link to their project...
If you start reading through some of those, you will begin to see and understand what lies ahead.
Another great resource is the sticky at the top of the forum heading...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...r/how-tos-other-great-information-288451.html
A couple of the really good reads are from members "oops!" and "friscoboater", along with a good guide on how to get a free photobucket account to post pictures...#'s 11,14 and 15

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Interesting, all the Bass Tracker and Tracker TX17s I've ever seen have been aluminum boats that don't have wooden stringers or fiberglass.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the wonderful world of boat restoration!! Can be fun, but it can be a challenge too, but you did come to the right place, lots of good straight forward information to do it right.
One word stuck out in your first post, "HUGE" project. LOL don't worry yet!

Have you checked your power plant out yet? might want to see what you have there before you start spending your hard earned coin, it's kind of easy to "cost out" what this project will run you before you even start the heavy lifting and more important, your wallet!! Does it run? maybe do a compression check to see if it's a decent motor. If it isn't, you will be needing to consider that too, it's usually the most expensive part of your project. Pictures and more factual data will help the pro's (I'm not one) guide you to success. Boats are great fun, but aint cheap!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

While restoring a fiberglass boat can be both expensive and time consuming, aluminum boats aren't that involved or nearly as expensive.

All you really need is 3 or 4 sheets of good ACX plywood (not treated), some epoxy resin (about 1/2 gallon) to seal the plywood after it's cut, some foam to replace the wet foam you remove and maybe some closed end blind rivets to replace and leaking rivets. Then that just leaves your choice of deck finish, carpet, vinyl, or a paint on product.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Interesting, all the Bass Tracker and Tracker TX17s I've ever seen have been aluminum boats that don't have wooden stringers or fiberglass.

OOOOPS!:eek:
You may have a pretty good point there J-n-G...goes to show what I know about 'lumnum boats...:embarassed:
:)

Patsway

Cadet

Think i am to the back deck which is not wood like the front. IF I cut this out to get undrrneath, how will i redeck this part?. The compartments are all riveted on flush with the deck now. The back deck needs ro come off because the foam back here is soaked. This deck is also riveted around the sides i think. I am trying to attach pics for ya'll to look at. Thanks everyone for helping out.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Drill out the rivets and then rivet the metal deck back. When drilling the old rivets out, just drill until the heads come off and the punch the remaing rivet through with a center punch or nail.

Patsway

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Worked great, was able to remove all the lids and the compartments are out now. Still tying to post some pics

Patsway

Cadet

These are some of the pics as I startedWhole boat before restoration.jpg

Last edited:

Patsway

Cadet

Drill out the rivets and then rivet the metal deck back. When drilling the old rivets out, just drill until the heads come off and the punch the remaing rivet through with a center punch or nail

.[boat side view.JPG
Inside of boat.JPG
top view of boat.JPG

Trying to find a way to get the console fixed or find a new one. Does anyone know where I could find a new one or good used. Will any Bass Tracker style fit?

Also want to extend the front casting deck. Does anyone know the best thread out there that shows how to do that? I am thinking about just building my platform on top of the exposed stringers with 2x4s. Is that the best way?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Consider getting a free photobucket account for posting nice big pics that load right side up.

Unfortunately consoles change every year or 2 and are pretty expensive, you may want to consider refurbishing yours instead.

The best build for extending your front deck would be to frame it out of aluminum (another reason to own a rivet gun) and cover with plywood.

When you get the back deck removed you'll want to check your transom wood for rot since you have wet foam.

Here's a vid that shows how easy riveting on a boat is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Last edited:

Patsway

Cadet

I was able to get to the bottom of the back of the boat by removing the compartments and the foam is wet. I was able to remove all the wet foam through these holes but wanted to leave the deck in place in the back. The poured in foam that seems to support the back deck is solid and dry all the way to the bottom. I used a small pvc tube to punch down to the bottom and all was good there. The foam in the bottom was simply pieces of foam laying within the aluminum stringers. They were soaked. Do you think I could get away with just leaving the back deck in and replacing the foam in the bottom?

The transom looks like a scary project to me. Not sure how to remove and put back together. I can cut the new wood to match a template but not sure how to remove without breaking the welding. Can the wood be cut out somehow as to not have to remove the welding seams? The transom seems to be solid with no rotting but I do see the reasoning behind replacing now while I have it torn apart.

Also what do you think caused the wet foam? Is that because the previous owner left it outside or do you suspect leaks in the hull? Any way to check that?

Too bad about the console. It is cracked in the plastic and is probably the worst looking part of the boat. Was hoping I could find one in better shape, not new just better than the one I have. Do you know if there has to be a certain size or just close to the size I have and modify the placement somewhat?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The only way to get foam saturated is by prolonged exposure to water, and it takes quite a while for it to get soaked. The previous owner(s) more than likely left the boat outside uncovered with the drain plug in causing the boat to hold water for long periods of time.

To check your boat for leaks since you have all the foam out, fill the bottom of the boat with water from the garden hose. Not a lot of water, just a few inches and keep an eye on your trailer tires so you don't overload the boat and trailer. When you have enough water in the boat check underneath for leaks and drips. You'll also want to lower the bow of the boat with the trailer jack and recheck for leaks, then raise the bow with the jack and check for leaks again. If you don't find any leaks or drips you're good to go, if you do find leaks let us know and we'll tell you how to stop them.

I know the transom job looks intimidating, but it's not really that hard of a job if it has to be replaced and there are ways around cutting the welds.

What kind of foam do you plan to use to replace the wet stuff you removed?

Are you going to replace all the plywood decking? Don't hesitate to replace it if it's wet, wet wood is rotten wood in the making.

What kind of finish do you plan to use on the deck, carpet or something else?

For your console I would suggest you consider vinyl wrapping it in the vinyl wrap they're using on cars and boats now, that's what I'm going to do to mine.

Patsway

Cadet

The back is actually aluminum on top so I am just going to cover the top of it with carpet or a thin layer of plywood. It is actually supported by the poured in foam. it is is great shape so I am going to just leave it alone and clean it up before covering.

I will look at the transom again when it is dry outside and see if there is a way to replace without cutting the welding.

I am going to use 3/4" marine grade plywood for the bottom and deck that I am planning on extending another 3 feet up to the console. I would love to use the type liner I have seen in the newer boats instead of carpet. It almost looks like epoxy you put on a basement floor or a bed liner for a truck. not sure what it is, Do you know?

Not sure what to use for the foam I pulled out of the bottom. It looked like foam from a house wrap, tyvek maybe. Seems like something like that would work but not insulation but rather a waterproof version of the same thing since I will need to cut and put under the back deck since I am not going to remove it.

I am not sure what you are talking about with the vinyl wrap for the console. It sounds like a good idea because I have checked everywhere with no luck on a replacement for the console. Do you have pictures of the wrap you are talking about?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The vinyl wrap I'm talking about is this stuff:
Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap for Car Bike Boat Trailer 5ft x 5 5ft BCF5M01 | eBay

... and this is how you install it:
How to Wrap a Car installation help Guide Video vinyl by Avery - YouTube

This is a good marine grade coating for boat decks:
Non-slip Safety Coating for Your Boat or Ship
Easy to apply and durable.

Most aluminum boat guys on this site use the polystyrene rigid sheet foam insulation for their boats, it's waterproof and long lasting:
Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-10 Scored Squared Edge Insulation Board-45W at The Home Depot

Patsway

Cadet

Ok
Finally back to the boat. I finished removing nearly everything from the boat, wet foam, decks, seats, moved the livewell. Now I need help with the transom if anyone could help me through this. Do I need to drill out all the old rivets from the back? The welds, do I need to break those or can I just remove the rivets and replace?