Question re: clearcoat and interior panels for '84 Glastron Carlson CVX-17

Hello everyone. I am new the forum and the new owner of a 1984 Glastron Carlson CVX-17. The hull and transom are in great condition, but there are certainly a number of cosmetic upgrades that need to be done.

Picture of the boat:

Full.View.jpg

1. I am looking for advice on methods to remove peeling clearcoat and reapply a new coat. I plan on doing most (hopefully all) of the work myself and really do not have any experience with this type of exterior work.

Top.of.Bow.jpg

Peeling.Example.jpg

Peeling.jpg

Peeling on Side.jpg

2. I am looking to replace some of the interior side panels. Any tips or suggestions about finding replacement parts or building one/doing the upholstry work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and glad to be a part of this forum.

Re: Question re: clearcoat and interior panels for '84 Glastron Carlson CVX-17

Picture of the missing interior paneling:

Side.Paneling.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

I will move this to the right section.

What you have is not a clear coat break down but, a gel coat failure. There are three possible solutions.....
Leave it alone and live with it......
Sand it down and re-gelcoat......
and the cheapest alternative is sand it down ......prime and use paint.

Just curious...... what motor and outdrive is in that boat?

Last edited:

Thanks for the response.

With the re-gelcoat route, I have read that a lot of surface prep needs to be done before applying the new layer of clear gelcoat. Since the boat has metal flake, I am a little wary of sanding down into the flake. Any advice on the surface prep process? I am not trying to make the boat look new, but I definitely want to improve the way it looks now.

The previous owner had a Johnson 150 on it but sold the motor to someone else before I bought the boat. I'm planning on buying a 115 hp outboard for it later this month.

Last edited:

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bob-VT with all do respect that sure looks like a clear coat failer to me!! But then again im no expert on gelcoat but have never seen it peel just oxidize.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It looks like someone already did a clear coat re-spray and it's failing, which is typical after a few years.

To do a repair you need to remove the clear coat and hope it doesn't mess up the flake, then re-spray it, which in time will fail again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you want to find out put some paint remover on it. If it crinkles it and it comes off then it's clear coat. If nothing happens it's gelcoat.

So, if it does turn out to be clear coat (I will try the paint remover trick this weekend), is there a product I should put on the flake prior to reapplying the clear coat?

Lt. Dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome

Your name caught my eye after living on Tchoupitoulas Street by Audubon Park for many years, my daughter could spell this @ 2yr of age. Good luck with the Glastron!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I suspect it was in a bit of a mess before and that's why the PO attempted to clear coat it to try and "Brighten" it up Metal Flake gelcoat is only a TEMPORARY fix to a PERMANENT problem. There's just no way that I've heard of to restore Flake Gel once it gets to this state.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Looks like lots of sand parer and ...more sand paper you have a big mess there....Cut it all off.

attachment.php

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like its a metal flake paint to me as well looking at that pioc above there is a spot there where the flake is flaked off as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Welcome to iBoats

It does look like a clear coat failure.

metal flake is a biotch.

I would sand it all down and paint it a solid color, or if you like the metal flake, repaint that as well.