78 switzercraft resto?

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice
Well hello, about a year and a half ago i purchased this old switzercraft cheap has a running evinrude 140. i knew it was going to need work so i started taking it apart over the past couple days since we had a break in the terrible winter weather. the previous owner at some point cut out a chunk of the floor probably due to a soft spot then carpeted a piece of plywood and screwed it to what was left of the deck. i pulled that out pulled the fuel tank and motor and started to notice some funky stuff going on.

to me it appears at some point someone has removed what was a rotted transom and placed in these HUGE pieces of aluminum to bolt the engine to they also appear to have put in 2 forward metal braces that secure to the boards where the fuel tank rests. in the last picture you can clearly see where the transom appears to have been dug out below the aluminum brace. my question is has anyone seen anything like this done before? i am guessing you are going to tell me i need to remove it all and glass in a new wooden transom? also the previous boat i worked on was a 90 celebrity 210 and was much different constuction this boat seems to have one center stringer and then two side boards angled downward to the bottom of the hull and the deck is laid over top of that is this common? incase you were wondering no need for a core sample

really hate to get rid of this boat. do you think it is worth saving? heres a pic from last summer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 switzercraft resto?

Welcome to iBoats!

Nope that's a first for me!! Never seen that kind of a patch on a transom. Yup you need to scrap it all and start fresh. As to whether or not it's "Worth It". Only YOU can decide. I look at it like this. If you like the style and features of the boat then you will have a boat that you like and is LIKE NEW for somewhere around $2-3K. Now go shop for a NEW Boat. If you don't mind the Itchy Yucky work, then I kinda think it's a NO BRAINER!!! But Hey, I'm Just a...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

got some work done on the boat till the weather got bad again, got most of the junk out of it still have to cut the stringer out. really not wanting to remove the cap i have to do some work on the outer transom skin and spashwell i am thinking about cutting a section off the top of the transom/ splashwell to make installing the new transom easier? URL=http://s60.photobucket.com/user/jrd_90/media/boat%20resto/GOPR2981_1397609877876_low.jpg.html]
GOPR2981_1397609877876_low.jpg
[/URL]

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome, switzer140...
Yeah, I totally agree with woody...never seen that band aid repair before and you will need to get rid of all the bad engineering and do it up right...plus, it will definitely end up a better built, longer lasting boat, for a lot less money than anything else out there...
As far as whether its worth it or not...Hey you like it and that's all that matters...
I think it has some really nice, speedy looking lines to it and seems to be a fun ride.
If you decide to tackle this project, we'll be here to help out in any way we can with all the info you'll need to make this one fine boat.
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

It amazes me how much effort some folks will put into engineering a band aid type fix like what you have uncovered with this boat. It looks like much of the work to get it fixed is done, you cleaned up the mess anyways. I would continue, looks like a fine older style boat, wonder what else was "engineered" , how's the engine run? Trailer got any issues?

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

engine runs great i did some work to it last season, trailer is in good shape also i'll be going over everything and freshening up. i put a new winch on it last season. could use some new tires, paint, also i am going to rewire it and put some led lights on it. as far as the boat goes the only other engineering ive found is some of the wires behind the gauges in the dash are a little sketch but i'll get to that also.383457_10201354511568008_1229438098_n.jpg i do love the look of my boat but thats just me

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live just down the road from the old Switzercraft factory. I say fix it up.

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's very much like a Glastron GT150+, and those have a HUGE following, so yep, if you're up to the challenge, the boat can be a stunner again. Definitely NOT going to see another one while you're boating, and it should attract attention at the dock & ramp.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

got some more work done to the switz got the front half of the deck cut out also got the stringer cut out going to start grinding out the hull and getting ready to glass in some new wood. moving along

GOPR2988 by jrd_90
GOPR2989 by jrd_90

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

Got some more work done to the Switzer cut some new boards for the stringer and bilge box area. I also cut a new transom and bonded together with PL
GOPR3027 by jrd_90,

also spent some time and ground the glass on the transom.
GOPR3035 by jrd_90,

There was no wood on the transom when I took it apart so I am kind of winging it on how I think it should go back together does this look like I am on the right track as far as the transom goes?
GOPR3031 by jrd_90,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have no idea what I'm lookin at with that picture!!!

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

Haha it is looking back towards the transom and how it is going to be installed possibly? If you look at the bottom you can see the hole for the drain. A little above that is the 2 holes for the bottom 2 bolts for the engine to mount.

Heres a pic from the outside and I drew some lines to illustrate where the transom is inside hard to tell because the fisheye from the gopro but the back of the boat is curved so I cut the transom to where it starts to curve around. The 2x4 are how I plan to clamp it on when I bond to the outer skin.

GOPR3037 by jrd_90,

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Your project seems to be moving along well, just the quality of the picture makes it hard to see what you do. The transom looks really curved, and I'm sure it isn't.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I feel like its moving along nicely, bonded in the transom and now I am ready to start glassing soon. Also the gopro I use does a fisheye effect so it defiantly looks weird but it does curve quite a bit back there.

switzer140

Seaman Apprentice

Had a quick question about the design of this boat. If you look at the picture the original bilge box had an opening in the forward part to allow water to drain to the back. In my mind it is also letting water under the floor and around the stringer (although sealed and protected) I don't see the purpose. Would it be a good idea to seal up the floor and bilge box so water would not be able to get below the deck at all?

GOPR2981 by jrd_90,

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Had a quick question about the design of this boat. If you look at the picture the original bilge box had an opening in the forward part to allow water to drain to the back. In my mind it is also letting water under the floor and around the stringer (although sealed and protected) I don't see the purpose. Would it be a good idea to seal up the floor and bilge box so water would not be able to get below the deck at all?

GOPR2981 by jrd_90,

That's how I did it...sealed the space between the deck and hull, then punched some holes in it to fill the void with floatation/expansion foam, then sealed up the works...
If any water gets in there, it will be from stupid negligence on my part by drilling holes in the deck and not sealing them up properly, or even stupider negligence by busting a hole in the hull by hitting a submerged object at high speed...:facepalm:
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it...;)