1980 Sea Nymph Restoration

EGHass

Cadet
According to the registration this boat is 1980 15'. It has an 80" beam and was given to me along with a new trolling motor, 15 poles, tralier and a 1980 long shaft 50 HP Mercury motor that runs great. Brought it home and started to clean it up but ended up completely stripping the boat and make it a "total restoration" project. I finally decided to join this site and share my project. I am by no means a professional at this but my dad built boats in the late 50's from a kit and was willing to help. I hope I can post a pic when we brought it home in February and a pic showing the totally rebuilt trailer and after installing about 100 rivets to the bottom. Currently we are painting the bottom. By the way, the bow plate measures about 105* and I cannot find anything close to this....any ideas? Also, since I cannot find another boat remotely close to this one I would like to know if anybody knows anything about this wide beam, deep V, 20" transome, double riveted boat.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph Restoration

Welcome! Post up some pics when you can! Sounds like a great boat with that large of a beam.

Can you read the SN ID # on the back of the boat? Mine was on the back where the motor sits....left side, stamped/etched into the Alum.

EGHass

Cadet

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Painting Sea Nymph.jpg
    Painting Sea Nymph.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What Method and materials are you using to paint the boat? Also, what do you mean by..."By the way, the bow plate measures about 105* and I cannot find anything close to this....any ideas?"

EGHass

Cadet

Used a soft wire wheel on a 4" grinder to remove loose paint and caulking. Palm sander with 150 grit to smooth out rough areas and since the existing paint was still firmly attached decided to leave. Once it was smooth we applied a fog of green aluminum etching primer I found at O'Reilly over the bare aluminum areas. Applied 1 coat of Rustoleum aluminum primer, sanded and applied a second coat, all with spray can. Used Rustoleum Professional oil based enamel, applied with 4" foam roller in one direction and used a very fine brush in the a single pass the other direction. This seem to feather the two together without cold lines. Currently we only have one coat and will be applying the second coat this evening after a 48 hour cure.

Maybe the context of the bow plate request was not the best. My point is that I have found bow plates of 70* and 80* but nothing larger. I need one and I can't seem to find one. I can have one made but I'd prefer to find a factory cast item rather than one made with aluminum plate. With regards to the 80" bow, I found many boats online that look similar but mine looks nothing like any of them, just looking for something similar.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you using the hardener in the Paint? I highly recommend it. Makes it much more durable and scratch resistant. You might like reading this..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"
I'm NOT a Tinner so I guess I'm just not understanding a 70* or 80* Bow Plate. What does the * indicate? I'm just an Ole' Dumb Okie and you have to "Splain" things to me!!!:facepalm: SORRY!!!!

Last edited:

EGHass

Cadet

I have minimal boat experience but I am a steel guy, and maybe the description was not right. The best I can tell is the 70* and 80* is the degree of the bow plate. I measured my bow and it will take a plate 105 degrees to fit decent. I found some bow plates on a great lakes site and that is the term they used. Where do you find these parts?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look on ebay, there are 2 bow plates listed currently, 1 off a Starcraft Holiday 19ft'r and another that isn't labelled. Both might be large enough to fit

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

There are several Sea Nymph restores on the site.

Jasoutside rebuilt one that was similar to yours.

You can also look at my thread, as my boat is very similar to yours.

Good luck... this is a great place to document your build, get any help/ideas you could possibly need, and meet some really nice folks in the process.

EGHass

Cadet

Jasoutside project is the closest and our transom's were in the same shape.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's been loads of fun and getting ready for the final coat (3rd) on the hull today. What is your take on painting with a brush vs. spray gun?

EGHass

Cadet

Here is the boat after the finish paint. After 4 coats of paint with hardener, assembled some friends, rolled it in the yard and set on the trailer. Installing the new 2" transom shortly then paint the back end. I see folks talking about 1.5" transoms but this space is 2 1/16" so I'm filling it up with 1/2" ply in the middle and 3/4" on each side, glued and urethaned with 4 coats.

The top looks like swiss cheese from years of installing, removing and re-installing stuff, there are about 50 holes. I filled a few with epoxy but I think I'll have a friend of mine Tig them closed....any thoughts on this process?

Really looking forward to the interior.

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 79.jpg
    79.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 79.jpg
    79.jpg
  • 79.jpg
    79.jpg
Last edited:

EGHass

Cadet
No Title

We are nearing completion of the Sea Nymph. My dad made the red oak boards for the dash and the bulkhead, painted the red top three different times due to looks and smoothness not quite right. If someone sees something that I may be overlooking please let me know but it's coming together.

EGHass

Cadet
No Title

We are nearing completion of the Sea Nymph. My dad made the red oak boards for the dash and the bulkhead, painted the red top three different times due to looks and smoothness not quite right. If someone sees something that I may be overlooking please let me know but it's coming together.

EGHass

Cadet
No Title

Here are some more pics as we near the end of this project.

Last edited:

EGHass

Cadet
No Title

After 5 months this is what we have. It's pretty plain but I'm excited about taking it out for it's new journey on 8/17/14. Wanted to share some pics

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unfortunately your pix didn't post. If they appear on your end, it's because they are cached on your computer or in your browser's cache.

Use Photobucket and past the IMG code. It looks like this:
img]http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_iAnknc14eJU_600x450.jpg[/img

And the pix show up IN your posts, rather then as attachments that have to be opened:
00s0s_iAnknc14eJU_600x450.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Please do get a PB account and post up some pics of your SN.