Fuel Tank Cover, deck floor restoration method options (PICS)

picflight

Cadet
I am looking for options on how to tackle this fuel tank cover/deck floor restoration. To my untrained eye it seems that is needs to be redone. The floor was solid, no spongy or soggy feeling when it was installed. I took it off to inspect and have better access to replace the 16 year old fuel hoses.

I drilled a few inspection holes where I thought there was water intrusion. I did find wet wood inside and some rot in in corner, identified by black powder. This imperfection is isolated in two areas.

If I am fully convinced that I can handle this job, I would purchase a compressor, pneumatic chisels, a tool (perhaps this oscillating tool) and carefully remove the core/fiberglass making sure the bottom gelcoat layer is untouched.

I would then grind the bottom of the cavity, measure and dry fit as large pieces of Balsa Core as I can on fiberglass cloth.
Mix laminating Polyester Resin with some cab-o-sil to a syrup consistency and lay it in. Place the fiberglass cloth (have not determined what kind of cloth) on the resin then lay the Balsa core and add equal pressure on top while it cures.

I would then add another layer of cloth on top and apply resin to seal the core off.

Once cured I would have to make sure the edges are level, grind away the access fiberglass if any so that the deck can mate with the bottom when it installed in the boat.

• What am I missing?
  • Looking for expert opinions and tips from experience.

Thanks.

Link to Pictures:
Aft View
Forward edge
Aft corner
Inspection holes

Attachments

• 13440060005_1ef9b428e6_t.jpg
    13440060005_1ef9b428e6_t.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • 13440060005_1ef9b428e6_n.jpg
    13440060005_1ef9b428e6_n.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fuel Tank Cover, deck floor restoration method options (PICS)

It looks like a plywood core (not balsa) . . . The inspection holes shown are along the edges. I would try a few inspection holes more towards the middle. Also, if you can get yourself a moisture meeter for wood (about $30), you can get a better idea of how much moisture is in the wood core. I did not see any significant areas of rot in your pictures. So, maybe you do not have to do as much work on this as you are planning.

What does the other side look like (pics)?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You might be able to get away with using a small rotary tool to dig out/grind away any bad areas...mix up some thickened resin with milled fibers and cabosil/aerosil/ micro-ballons, etc...into a paste, fill any cavities just shy of full, dish out the surrounding area a little to then add a layer of cloth or CSM to "lock" it all in and be done...
Just a thought from what I can see in your pics...:)

PS- also make sure to seal any fasteners that penetrate the surface, with a good quality marine sealant, like 3M 5200/4200 to prevent water intrusion...

Last edited:

picflight

Cadet

@GT, that is what I have in mind. I will open up the affected areas this weekend or sooner if I can get a chance and prepare it.