New carpet on my pontoon

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice
Well when i saw the past two days forecasted to be in the 70s I decided to go ahead and recarpet my pontoon. I got up Saturday morning and with my dads help, removed the railing, pulled the old carpet up, and cleaned the old crap off the deck. Today after church we laid the new carpet. I think it turned out pretty good.

Before
4cb7ffb987b17d5350712c44d730fec7_zps5044b842.jpg

After
29a13a2d1b881dbb6113629a2894c20c_zpsee98392e.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: New carpet on my pontoon

Nice job and look very good. What did you use to install that carpet? Glue or staples or even both? Let us know what type glues or staples you used so others can follow your efforts doing theirs... :thumb:

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats on the new floor ... Looks good.

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I thought it turned out pretty good as well for my first time. I just used glue and spread it with an 1/8" trowel. After some research I came up with a Roberts 6700 outdoor carpet adhesive that others have glued there boats carpet with. I ordered it offline but later found out Home Depot sells the exact stuff. My 8' x 24' boat took 4 gallons. The carpet is a 20oz cut pile marine carpet with a thick rubber backing. I glued it down in two sections front to back and used a 100lb carpet roller as I went. The went over the whole thing with the roller.

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

And thanks for the move. I wondered if I should of posted it here instead but figured someone would do what was needed.

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Wouldn't you know once I pull my boat out from under the neighbors canopy and get the railing back on, it would start to rain. Luckily my new cover came in Saturday. Hopefully it will pass soon. I've got to build me a PVC skeleton to shed the rain. Does anybody have pictures of the skeletons they've built for their pontoon?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a picture of a pvc tower I made (if you can see it in the middle). Just a simple H shape base and an upright, and a piece across the top connecting them all. I'll get a better picture once i get a nice day (got to finish working on it). I re-did a whole pontoon as well so I know your joy (and pain). Here's the thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1997-premier-rebuild-633355.html

Question for you... that cover you have, where did you get it, how much, what size boat is it made for (and how long is your boat), and does it feel cheap? Is it waterproof? thanks!

2014-04-27174033_zpsaa5d1fb8.jpg

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the pic. I think I'm gonna do something similar but waiting to get my front seats in to know what kind of footprint it can have.

The cover I bought from vortex direct. It feels thick enough to do the job of shedding rain and blocking sunlight. It's a 600 denier material. The price was pretty good($168) so I'm unsure if that's gonna hurt me in the long run but they have a 5 year warranty on their covers so we will see how it holds up and how they treat their customers. It's made for a 23-24ft boat and mine is 24ft and it fits it perfect. I would say it's pretty waterproof as long as rain doesn't pool on it. The first rain I had it pooled on a seam and leaked a little but hasn't since.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also put 2 straps on either side of the pvc down to the railings. That helps keep the poles in place and supports the cover as well to avoid pooling.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You did right to research for the proper mastics and renting a 100 lb. flooring roller. Without both, you'd be seeing bubbles in the carpet.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did my carpet as well and all they had was a 60 or 70 lb roller and I started in the middle and pushed the excess glue out the sides. Even though I used the recommended trowel I still embed up pushing out a lot of glue. .. What a friggin mess that was

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only downside was/is I bought my carpet online and got too light of a gray but would have cost way too much to send it back. I just gotta clean it twice as much haha

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Only downside was/is I bought my carpet online and got too light of a gray but would have cost way too much to send it back. I just gotta clean it twice as much haha

I think you will still be happy with it. If it was anything like mine before I ripped it up, any new carpet Is better than the old stuff. I think as long as it gets rolled with a semi heavy roller, its better than just laying it down and hoping it smooths out.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is your carpet the one with the leaf pattern in it? It's hard to tell from your picture

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Is your carpet the one with the leaf pattern in it? It's hard to tell from your picture

Nope just plain old beige. I haven't ever seen a leaf pattern on a pontoon. Curious how that would look.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have it. Once I get my seats put back on ill post a pic. It was the thickest I could find.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

so this carpet is the thickest i could find so it feels super nice. If you look back to front the carpet is a good shade of beige/tan, but if you look from the front towards the back, it almost looks white.... i like the pattern though, to each his own....

looking back to front
20140504_192653_zpsc5802aa8.jpg

looking front to back
20140504_192640_zps460a2fdc.jpg

ZachDean

Seaman Apprentice

Nothing wrong with that. I've read your rebuild thread but never noticed the pattern.