Base coat clear coat???

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys Well the warm weather is around the corner and i was thinking about painting my boat. So my question i want to use a silver matelic base coat clear coat. The boat is always trailerd So i dont see an issue But i could be missing something or would this be fine?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Base coat clear coat???

Should be A-OK...Keep in mind that paint is never going to be as resistant to scratches and abrasion as gel coat is...
Also, any future touch ups will be extremely noticeable...
I used DuPont Marine Imron, still haven't wet my tub, but I am expecting it to get some bumps and bruises along the way...
BTW, you are spraying it, Right?
One more thing...prep, prep, prep...will give the best results...;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'll second GT1M's comment because he is 1000% correct and he surely knows what he is talking about too! Your finish is only going to be as good as the prep work. Base coat paint and clear top coats will not fix any issues in the primer coats... By the way, that is exactly how I plan on finishing my own boat project as well. I will be using PPG primers and base coat clear coats...

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok great thanks for the replys. Ive got some experince in base coat clear coat and prep work as ive painted too 14 ton boom trucks and ford F350 and F150 using it just recently! Also did a f250 van and a crew cab ford last year with this system. Ive also painted my corvette my self and my Z28 back years ago. Just never a boat is all and wanted to be sure that in and out of the water wouldnt blister the paint!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

BTW, we would love to see some before, during and after pics if you get a chance...;):cool:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I did a 53 footer in BCCC..turned out sweet. The only advice I can share is make sure that you dont have any exposed tape edges in the primer or base coat. Pull your tape and over lap your clear to seal it in .. or it will pop loose. Caulk Every other tape edge around fittings or what have you where you cant do your clear overlapping.

Good luck.

Dave

zool

Captain

Hey guys Well the warm weather is around the corner and i was thinking about painting my boat. So my question i want to use a silver matelic base coat clear coat. The boat is always trailerd So i dont see an issue But i could be missing something or would this be fine?

Another route you can go is spot prime any repair areas with a good 2k epoxy primer, followed by a full sealer coat of the epoxy, then 2 wet coats of a compatible metallic single stage urethane paint....and youre done....on a boat hull, the least amount of coats handle the hull flex better than piles of finish and/or clear....it can be a bit tricky tho, laying the 2 wet on wet coats to get the gloss you want..but it will hold up better under use, imo

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

another issue ill bring up is impact resistance, check and see what sealer is recommended for rock chipping. all the new high end auto stuff have products with flexibility built in. for instance if your primer is rock hard and you base over it then clear it the weak link is the base coat. also most manufacturers have an option for a touch of hardener in the base coat. it causes the coatings to chemically bond as well as mechanically to the sealer. try to use one system only. so the sealer sticks to the primer and base to it. base it very thin compared to high solids primer and clear. imaging it as layers or as one thick film.....