1968 Mirrocraft Restoration

Moonystar

Cadet
Hi, I am new to boat restoration and to these forums. I have browsed around on here for a bit and thought it would be a good place to look at for help with my boat. In September, I bought a 1968 Mirrocraft. It has a mid-eighties Evinrude 30 hp motor on it. I bought the boat for about $400. The owner told me he had the motor rebuilt in 2004 but the boat had been sitting outside, no cover since 2007. I instantly got to work dismantling it, getting pictures. the seats have been sent to be redone and the paint has been stripped. I wanted to put a small floor in it but I am currently a little stuck. Any advice? :D
Photo Link: http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/moonystar1/library/?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 Mirrocraft Restoration

Welcome to iBoats!

Post of some pics, and I'm dead certain you'll get all the advice you can handle.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

yep, post up some details about the boat & some pix & the tin hat crowd will be along shortly to offer all kinds of advice, most of it helpful :)

Welcome to the iboats dry dock, tin division

Moonystar

Cadet

Im sorry, I cant quite figure out how to upload a picture. I go on the insert picture icon and click upload but nothing happens. (I tried basic uploader too).

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Nice run about style boat ya have there, just looking at the outboard , it appears that the "long shaft" you are running is a bit long for the boat you have. Was this how you bought her, or did you put that on? My guess is, that will affect the performance of your boat, but others may know more than me.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, GBF's correct, long shaft motor @ short shaft transom:
DSC05260_zpsf8a690ee.jpg

As long as you are careful in shallow water, and don't mind being an extra minute or 2 getting to your favorite fishing spot, I don't think you'll care that it creates excess drag & slows ya down some and burns less then a 10th of a gallon more per hour.....

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I would like to follow along. Yes the best advice is to take and post lots of pictures. If you have any problems posting pictures let me know. I will be glad to help!! Welcome aboard :)

Moonystar

Cadet

Thanks for informing me. I will continue to update photos as soon as I start working on it again. (within a week) :)

Moonystar

Cadet
It has been a while and I am sorry I haven't updated this. The day before I was going to continue to work on this it was raining so I moved the boat inside, lucky I did. There was straight line winds and it did quite a lot of damage, barns down etc.. I recently resumed working on the boat. I got the seats back after being reupholstered and managed to paint and prime the outside of the boat. The pictures will be the next post.