1979 26' Commander gas & H2O tank replacement & ?

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. Nope, no foam backing, just the perforated material stapled on directly, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, as I have pretty much no upholstery experience. This is the same material that was originally used, and it had been installed the same way when the boat was new, some 36 years ago. The only difference is that I'm using stainless steel heavy duty staples. Although the staples I removed were light duty regular steel, the only ones that showed any signs of corrosion were the ones around the hatch at the cabin door, but I feel better about using stainless throughout.

Mikeopsycho

I'm a little bummed I didn't get that first piece completely flat and tight before I installed the second section, looks like an amateur installed it, which I am, but still. It is kinda noticeable in the right light. The thought of removing 6 or 7 hundred staples is not appealing to me. I'll have to have another sleep on it. If I had enough material I could cut it out later and put in a new piece, but if I want to reuse the same piece I'll have to completely remove section #2 and then pop of enough staples to snug up and tighten the offending headliner. What to do...what to do? Hmmmmmm. I think I'll have a beer.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
BEER GOOD!
Leave the staples... they will help with your magnetic course. Just cut out the material and re-apply back again as tight as you want with no wrinkles. Just staple over the staples. Thier getting covered anyway. Always a learning curve. So ...hey.

Mikeopsycho

I bit the bullet and stripped off enough headliner to redo the first panel and got rid of the waves and wrinkles. You guys knew I was gonna do that, didn't you? I just figured that I wouldn't ever be happy with it unless I fixed it, and I'm real happy with it now! I pulled about 300 staples, smoothed things out, and put her back together again.

no waves,

and I got two more panels done,

Two more sections to go.

Mark72233

Ensign
Almost looks like you know what your doing. That is looking very nice and clean. Good job and yes we were all thinking it we just didn't want to say it 😁

Mikeopsycho

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really pleased with how nice it's looking. You're right NM, it wasn't that big a deal to re-do it, and I'm glad I did.

I went into town and picked up another 1000 pack of staples, and if I don't screw anything up I'll have more than enough to finish the headliner. Then I'll be back to looking for some kind of vinyl for the walls. A couple of guys have suggested Duradeck (sp), so I'll have to look into that.

Mikeopsycho

Thanks Corjen 1. Maybe some day I'll attempt some difficult upholstery jobs like you and WOG and others have done. :)

Mikeopsycho

My heavy duty mechanic nephew was visiting on the weekend and he offered to rebuild my hydraulic steering ram for me, so that's done, I just have to install it and bleed the system. We ended up with a few extra seals and O-rings, and a call today to the supplier confirmed this is a generic kit meant for all ages and configurations of the Wagner 700 series steering ram, and no, I can't return the extras for a credit, lol.

I've got to trim and fit the washroom wall sections before I finish the headliner because the new sole is about 3/8" higher than the old one was, so that's what I'll be doing next.

Mikeopsycho

I got the washroom walls trimmed to fit and then finished the last two sections of headliner,

Now that I look at the pix I see that I could put the trim around the door hatch, next time. The teak trim slats will go up after the walls are done. I re-installed the bilge pump and float,

installed the gas cocks and new gas lines,

and installed the rebuilt hydraulic steering ram,

I'll need a hand to bleed the steering system, so I'll bring some unsuspecting visitor out to show off the progress on the boat and put him/her to work, heh-heh-heh-heh :whip:.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice work! Good for you. I like that heh heh heh heh, hopefully a her. Looks real nice Mike.

bigdirty

wow man, that headliner turned out great! :thumb: Yup thousands of staples.. I've probly pulled 30% of the ones I've put in my panels.. but ya, if it don't look good enough, I'll notice it forever and ever.. and it would **** me off :lol: You gona splash that tub this season then?