1979 26' Commander gas & H2O tank replacement & ?

Mark72233

Ensign
Mike Google Jabsco Searchlight. They look a lot like yours and on your stickers the last 6 letters match up to searchlight. Doesn't help much especially since they are an expensive spot light.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you sure some JB weld and duct tape won't take care of that???:eek::D

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mike Google Jabsco Searchlight. They look a lot like yours and on your stickers the last 6 letters match up to searchlight. Doesn't help much especially since they are an expensive spot light.

Thanks Mark, I looked at Jabsco searchlights before I took pictures, I'll look again and see if the lettering matches up. You're right, they are ridiculously expensive, that's why I'm hoping to find just the pedestal.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I see some writing on the back but I'm sure if it were relevant you would have mentioned it. Oh well was at least worth a try.

Mikeopsycho

I do see some markings on the back of the rheostat, but that wouldn't be manufacturer's numbers, I don't think.

I now believe it is a Jabsco product because of the ITT on the piece of label, I noticed ITT is often in the product description of Jabsco spotlights. I wonder where Jabsco is based, maybe they can help me out.

jc55

Finally got the chance to go through your thread. I'm so sorry, I just have to sympathize with you...water tank replacement turns into total resto. Man, isn't that how we've all ended up here. Your boat seems to be very well built from the start. Nice work too!

Mikeopsycho

Hi jc55, and thanks. Yup, most of us ended up here kicking and screaming, LOL.These were well built boats alright. I understand someone acquired the molds, etc., and is going back into production again. Hopefully the new boats will be as well built as the old ones.

I'm slowly getting back into the project, but it is still quite cool in my neck of the woods.

I need to replace the headliner....another learning experience for me. I started at the front by removing a couple pieces of molding and pulling a couple hundred staples,

but I soon realised it had been installed from the front to the stern, and I needed to remove it in the reverse order, so back to pulling staples,

Here you can see how each panel was stapled with some kind of backing material from the back side onto the 1/4" plywood slat, then folded over the backing piece making a nice sharp seam, then stapled to the next slat. The folded over seams were then covered with teak molding strips.

The back 2 panels removed, I actually got 3 removed, about half way done,

The light cover was very brittle and I broke it. Looks like I'll be replacing some lights, maybe it's time to upgrade to LED,

The headliner material says Montanto on the back, not sure if this company still exists and whether or not they still make this product,

Plywood slats are from Weldwood, 22 Dec, 1978.

I'm wide open to suggestions regarding what material I should use, where I can get it, and how to best install it. Should I install the new headliner the same way it was or is there a better or easier way to do this? :noidea::help:

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Actually pretty cool Mike!
All your wood substrates look to be in great condition from what I see. So basically it was pulled taught, stapled to the furring strip then a pc. of trim covered over the
stapled area. Looks good to me.
I think that you have a relatively "flat" surface to re-apply new materials however you want by using or modifying the existing substrate.
I like the idea of having the areas removable to access mechanicals. If you were to apply a foam backed vinyl over let's say..formica pcs. cut to fit to the substrate then apply the vinyl to the formica with a spray adhesive you could cover a very broad area of ceiling in 1 pc. Add wide taped velcro to match up and adhere that way. Pull of when you want to do things and stick it back up. Also the formica will take contours if large radius bends are needed. My berth ceiling looks like a crater with all the divits and changes.
There are a lot of cool materials out there to use for the aesthetic aspects. Zool has access to some pink colors.lol!:lol:

Mikeopsycho

http://www.sailrite.com/Installing-Removable-Cabin-Headliner-in-a-Boat-Video
This fella does about 5 or 6 different headliner application on youtube. You probably saw them already but eryago!

Thanks Kevin. I hadn't seen this before, pretty cool. In my case there is really nothing under the headliner I'd need to access, and there's a lot of stuff that screws on over top, like light fixtures, bathroom wall, valances, etc., so I'm looking to do more of a permanent non-removable installation (I think).

"Nice to see you off of your duff and back to work!"

Heheh, hey NM, I was hoping I could just slip back in here and carry on as if I'd been here all along, but you caught me. :facepalm::lol: I have been lurking around all winter, sneaking peaks in everyone else's projects, :peep::ranger: but it is about time I got some work done on my own boat. :nod:

I got the rest of the headliner removed :whoo:, no more staple pulling!

Now I've got to get some supplies........

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks Great Mike! Wow...you have so much flat even areas to work with. You can do so many things like, tongue/groove wood slats etc.
Even a rotating mirrored Disco Ball.

Mikeopsycho

Looks Great Mike! Wow...you have so much flat even areas to work with. You can do so many things like, tongue/groove wood slats etc.
Even a rotating mirrored Disco Ball.

Hahaha! :pound:Disco ball :whoo::rockon::peace:I don't think I could compete with the naked rooftop holiday houseboat dancers we get around here in the summer :party::fear::faint:, maybe I'll stick to something a little more conservative. :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LOL! "It's your boat, you can do what you want! IMHO!" Come on that's Funny!
Thanks for the laugh back..I needed that!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could almost just put some varnish over that wood and leave it be.. or maybe some of the 3/8" thick engineered hardwood flooring glued to the ceiling? Just thinking out loud...:crazy: :blah:

Mikeopsycho

You could almost just put some varnish over that wood and leave it be.. or maybe some of the 3/8" thick engineered hardwood flooring glued to the ceiling? Just thinking out loud...:crazy: :blah:

Thinking out load is a good thing, thanks for the ideas NM. There's a lot of teak wood inside this boat, dash, helm, cabinets, etc., etc., so I think sticking to a light colored headliner would help to brighten things up. I'm gonna do a bunch of internet research regarding various installation techniques :ranger:, but so far I'm leaning towards using something similar to what was removed, although I am open to suggestions. :dizzy:

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
How about making panels that will fit in the headliner space out of 1/16 veneer plywood, and then upolster the panels, then they can be worked on easier, and go up quicker, as well as replaced easier if you ever choose to. My 2 cents, and what I am thinking about doing on mine. That way I can also replace the old lighting with recessed LED lighting, and don't have to work over my head.