1978 Proline Flatback Rebuild

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone...just wanted to start a thread for my rebuild to post some pics along the way and get some advice/ask questions.....posting pics in a bit.

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1978 Proline Flatback Rebuild

Ripped out the first two layers of plywood and fiberglass that were laid over the original floor.

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

Liner removed, front casting platform and original flooring removed (almost)...

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

All foam removed and the rest of the floor was removed.

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

Wondering which types of material to use for flooring, stringers, and transom...types of resin, glass, wood vs. composite, etc...any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have done lots of research and my head is spinning...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

She's made from Polyester Resin and from the looks of it Woven Roving. Most everybody uses the new Biaxial's now so I'd recommend you do the same. Ext. Grade Plywood for the Stringers, Deck, and Transom should do the trick. These two links should get you started...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Click the pic to Download and View the PDF file
View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Any thought to supporting her while you rebuild? I will be the hull will flex a little now that the guts are all out of her.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Signing on to watch. WOG's PDF is very detailed should get you going in the right direction :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Any thought to supporting her while you rebuild? I will be the hull will flex a little now that the guts are all out of her.

This IS an excellent Point. Either build a separate Cradle and move the boat to it, or make some additional support frames for the trailer. The hull will get mighty flimsy when everythings removed. You should also be taking a lot of measurements so you can ensure she all goes back in the same configuration she was in when you took her apart.;)

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

I put a couple rubber wedges toward the back of the center bunks and wedged a 2x4 in to hold them tight where the boat doesn't quite fit properly. Where else should I add support? Can't take it off the trailer...have very limited space and not so nice neighbors!

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the great info! Is there a big weight difference between the kinds of woods mentioned for rebuild? What about composite materials...I have heard they are very expensive?

FloridaSean

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Wood, thanks again for all the insight! I am going to add a couple more bunks to trailer toward the outer edge of boat where it starts to curve in a bit and put some tire wedges to help with trailer movement. I am also going to leave the cap on until transom and stringers are done. Do you think this will be sufficient enough support?
On another note....I am going to go with the Aruaco for transom, stringers, and floor. However, I am still very confused about stringer set up. I looked at a lot of other ProLine rebuild and noticed that people seem to only tie the two center stringers into transom....all four seem to be tied in to transom on my boat. Any thoughts?
Sorry for all the questions....just want to make sure I get it right the first time!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I see no reason to remove the cap. I would replace the stringers exactly as they are now. The aruaco ply is good stuff. Get it all cut out and ground down to fresh glass. You'll be ready to put it back together in no time.