Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

dovydaz

Seaman
I recently purchased a 1989 Bayliner capri 5.0 V8, the previous owner for some unknown reason had left it without a cover on for over a year... so the interior was pretty bad when we picked up the boat. The leather it self was defiantly ruined as it started cracking and ripping as soon as any weight was placed on it so i decided to try to reupholster it my self, Iv been looking all around the forum and have read most likely all Bayliner restoration projects on here and on iboats forum :cheer:

Heres the on the way home from having picked up the boat:

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

Heres some general photos of inside the boat:

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6476.jpg
    IMG_6476.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6479.jpg
    IMG_6479.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6482.jpg
    IMG_6482.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6484.jpg
    IMG_6484.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman
Re: Bayliner Capri bowrider interior restoration and reupholstery

IMG_6487.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

Picked up this sewing machine (Brother XL-5021) which should be more than enough for the leather, along side Needles 110/18 and marine polyester sewing thread v69:

IMG_6406.jpg

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

I decided I would start from the bow, so i took off all the seats and the side cushions (screws are hidden in-between the folds and on the edges they just screwed straight through the leather on the corner):

IMG_6570.jpg

IMG_6575.jpg

One of the panels was completely rotten so ripped it out, cleaned it up and replaced it:

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Today I started off with redoing one of the cushions, I labeled it up and then using a blade carefully disassembled it (making sure i only cut the thread ant not the leather so I could use the leather as a stencil):

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

Once i drew up all of the pieces i started to cut them out from the new leather:

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

And heres one cushion finished (still needs to be stapled on to the backing wood which is why its all loose at the moment):

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

If any one is interested I will try to post pictures as I go along with the reupholstering, thats all for today!

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Nice work. I hope you are using vinyl not leather?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you have one serious project on you like your hand there. But your work look very nice thus far. I'll be watching along so keep posting. I do have one question, who is that furry friend there in the pictures? :thumb:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Yes its weatherproof Vinyl :)

Good deal. Sometimes its because you are from another part of the world and translating is not quite on point. Where are you at?

dovydaz

Seaman

Looks like you have one serious project on you like your hand there. But your work look very nice thus far. I'll be watching along so keep posting. I do have one question, who is that furry friend there in the pictures? :thumb:
Thank you! and yeah should keep me busy for a while :)
That furry friend is trying to help as much as he can :) wether its standing on top of leather that I'm trying to cut or trying to jump up on my lap whilst I'm sewing :D

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The new seats and side panels are great looking work, hats off to your abilities and effort. With that much wood rot under the seats and panels, I would be checking a bit deeper in the boat structure. rot begins at the bottom and works it's way up. Floors (sole), stringers (under sole) and transom should be inspected too. Have you inspected these areas to ensure you are safe? Keep the pictures coming, you have a nice looking project there.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Im in London, England :)

yep, home of the lifts, bobby, bangers, bonnets and boots....

I started reading an magazine called the Economist a few years back and took me a few to get full meaning.

Whats the model number of the boat?

Good luck and keep posting pics.

dovydaz

Seaman

yep, home of the lifts, bobby, bangers, bonnets and boots....

I started reading an magazine called the Economist a few years back and took me a few to get full meaning.

Whats the model number of the boat?

Good luck and keep posting pics.

The model number is BJYK54CXE787
Just realised made a mistake its an '87 not '89 :D

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could you provide pics of how the rear seats are mounted an of the seat. I like how it can change from a seat to a sun tanning bed area. Am planning on doing something similar to mine.

Tagging along

dovydaz

Seaman

Could you provide pics of how the rear seats are mounted an of the seat. I like how it can change from a seat to a sun tanning bed area. Am planning on doing something similar to mine.

Tagging along

You are referring to the rear seats right? I took some photos for you:

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

Having finished making one of the seat covers I have now taken apart the other two from the bow and have started remaking one of them.
IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

Hopefully I will find the time to finish both of the seats tonight, if I do ill make sure to post up some pictures! :)
By the way does any one have any idea how to remove the painted on name of the boat?
IMG_6653.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use plain ole' paint remover. Not sure what's available on your side of the water. The Gelcoat on the boat won't be affected by most paint removers. I know this one works well on paint and has no effect on Gelcoat...
8977142.jpg

Paint it on, let it set for 30 mins, use a plastic putty knife to scrape it off. I bet it'll do the job

Last edited:

dovydaz

Seaman

I'd use plain ole' paint remover. Not sure what's available on your side of the water. The Gelcoat on the boat won't be affected by most paint removers. I know this one works well on paint and has no effect on Gelcoat...
8977142.jpg

Thanks ill have a look if i can find some :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

The model number is BJYK54CXE787
Just realised made a mistake its an '87 not '89 :D

That is the HIN (hull identification number) not good with those other than year. Can you get a full on side shot then we can figure it out - also (in ft not meters) how long?

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

oven cleaner sometimes will take it off. also compound mixed with laquer thinner . nice work! I gave a bid on the exact same model of boat to redo the upholstery 7100. us. its a ton of hours to sew all the double welt cords and colors. it was in a lot worse shape than yours