replacing plywood boat floor

mgonzales

Recruit
I have a 18" Starcraft, can someone guide on the procedures to replace the plywood around the ski compartment door area? (see attached pics) "THX"....

Attachments

• DSC03066.JPG
    DSC03066.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03068.jpg
    DSC03068.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03069.jpg
    DSC03069.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03070.JPG
    DSC03070.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: replacing plywood boat floor

Remove the old plywood paying attention to how it was installed and reinstall in the same manner. It may be necessary to remove the decking to install the locker plywood properly. Post pics of the locker plywood removal.

jbcurt00

Staff member

An 18 inch Starcraft is a pretty small boat..............:rolleyes:

A fiberglass Starcraft?

Based on the pix you attached, it appears the boat has wooden stringers, so probably a fiberglass boat:
attachment.php
attachment.php

I suspect that there is more work to be done then just repairing the DECK surrounding the ski locker. Possibly quite a bit more.

Post up some details about the boat, and some more pix.

Welcome to the iboats drydock

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

X2

Where there is some rot there is more rot. My bet is you are about to hit the sinking hole once you pull the interior, carpet and floor it is going to look a lot worse and need a lot more work.

jfas

Seaman Apprentice

I certainly agree with the above posters. Outwardly looking in, I can foresee lots of rotten wood and likely structural issues that will need to be addressed.

JFas

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with all the above. More info is needed. I don't like to assume. Is this a fiberglass boat? How old is she? Do you have a budget? Are you aware of any other "Soft Spots" in the deck? Have you done a thorough inspection of all areas of the deck?

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

As mentioned above........is it a fiberglass boat? Sadly the rot is like cancer (but curable ;)). Once you remove the old wood and uncover the flotation you need to see if it is saturated ......if so it has to come out.

You can get all the supplies you need (Except the exterior or marine grade wood) here on iboats. Boat Paint, Repair & Maintenance - Boat Carpet, Fiberglass Repair, Antifouling

Take lots of pictures and keep us informed. :)