Century Coronado restore

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Micky, we have our fingers crossed that the latest treatment regiment puts it into remission. The first treatment prescribed did not work so that set things back a couple of months but so far she is feeling great on the current infusions. Fibersport, glad to be back!

Thanks all

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
they have come a long way with treatments in last 20 years , i am sure they will find one that works for her:)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got a chance to try my hand at spraying gel coat last weekend but I won't be sure if I'm any good at it until I see if I can sand it and get it to shine. I got a good bit of orange peel that I will need to work through which was expected from everything I have read on this and other sites. The good news is that it cured nice and hard with no signs of any excessive wax, but I will know better when I see how sandable it is. My first layer started to gel in the gun so after adjustments on the second and third coats I was able to adjust the amount of hardener to a point where I was actually cleaning the gun before it begun to gel, although I only shot the top of a dock box so each coat only took about 5 minutes of spraying. I also learned that I will need to get a larger cup for my gun before I attempt to shoot the hull of the boat.

Pictures to prove it happened......

IMG_0947.JPG

Close up to show the orange peel

IMG_0948.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well II am glad you jumped in on it and am really interested in how it comes out. If the gel coat is easy to sand, meaning not plugging up the paper or gumming up or even hard as a rock that is is near impossible to sand, I think it will come out great. Long board sand whatever you can because using merely your hand will make a lot of hills and valley before you even realize it. Please keep posting your progress. I am watching to learn more about gel coating myself. :thumb:

What type gun did you use and the pressure settings? :noidea:

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
GM, I do plan on long board sanding as much as possible. I bought a G860 HVLP gun from UScomposites with a 2.5mm tip. 50 psi (at the gun) ended up working the best. Hoping to start sanding this weekend ... if not, the lid is small enough that I can bring it home with me next week and perhaps start the sanding next week.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started sanding on the dock box lid two weeks ago up until the point where I pulled a muscle in my lower back... ouch! Anyway, I ended up having to start with a light 100 grit sanding to break through the wax layer but after that it sanded easily with 180 grit to smooth out the orange peel. I later talked to a guy at our lake who does gel coat repairs and he said it does not sound like I ended up with an excessive amount of wax and I could have probably removed it with a good cleaning with naphtha and soap/rinse. I laid off the boat work this weekend to give the back a break and have a bike trip planned for next weekend (that should help heal the ol back) so I won't get back to the lid for a couple of weeks but will post up some pics once the sanding is done. Once the orange peel is knocked down I will spray the final coat of gel and (hopefully) get to the point of making it shiny. I'm considering buying a dump gun for when I spray the boat since I'm going to need to keep moving once I begin and the dump guns look like they have larger capacity cups and clean up faster.
noidea.gif

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I started sanding on the dock box lid two weeks ago up until the point where I pulled a muscle in my lower back... ouch! Anyway, I ended up having to start with a light 100 grit sanding to break through the wax layer but after that it sanded easily with 180 grit to smooth out the orange peel. I later talked to a guy at our lake who does gel coat repairs and he said it does not sound like I ended up with an excessive amount of wax and I could have probably removed it with a good cleaning with naphtha and soap/rinse. I laid off the boat work this weekend to give the back a break and have a bike trip planned for next weekend (that should help heal the ol back) so I won't get back to the lid for a couple of weeks but will post up some pics once the sanding is done. Once the orange peel is knocked down I will spray the final coat of gel and (hopefully) get to the point of making it shiny. I'm considering buying a dump gun for when I spray the boat since I'm going to need to keep moving once I begin and the dump guns look like they have larger capacity cups and clean up faster.
noidea.gif

Yea anybody that has sanded such things for any amount of time, gets the achy back and arms. I know I do all the time. But also amazing how quickly you forget all about the pain when the project is finished and you are looking at a nice finish.

When using a waxed product, it usually rises to the top to protect it from the air so it cures solid. But a lot of solvents will remove that wax really fast. Like you stated naphtha, lacquer thinner, acetone, and such chemicals like those, will cut that wax quickly without effecting the gel coat or poly resins in general. But nothing cuts the orange peel, but sanding. :eek:

Why you do get back to it, do post the pictures, I am interested in seeing your results. :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ya know I just went thru your thread and man O man you are kickin some adblscribble! Keep up the Great Work! Lots of turns and twists in life. Best to all!
I know the feeling...Gettin there says I! :yo: Whats that sound??? Vroom Vroom
Kevin

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Kevin ......the boats currently upside down so I can't even sit in it and make the Vroom Vroom sounds yet. Guess I better get moving spraying the gel while I still have warm weather then I can spend all winter long sanding and polishing it up....... that part don't care how cold it is and it helps to keep me warm while doing it :smow:. Hoping that my buddy gets done with his 222 Sport Craft and gets it outta of the way so he can get started rebuilding my motor :whip:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea sand will warm you up and makes body parts ache. Don't even ask me how I know that. But a little each day works too. Just saying. :thumb:

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
GM, my problem is I do a little each day but only have weekends to work on her so its kinda dragging the whole process out lol.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM, my problem is I do a little each day but only have weekends to work on her so its kinda dragging the whole process out lol.

Yea but you are still getting your project boat finished faster then I am and I am retired. It always seems that something takes my time instead of the boat. Of course I really don't like to work in heat and that is the true limiting factor now. So once the heat breaks or we get into fall type temps, I am hoping to finish this project now. :facepalm:

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was able to sand out the remaining orange peel this weekend and get the final coat of gel coat sprayed on my dock box lid this past weekend. The last coat was thinned down with about 30% patch booster which laid down really nice with very minimal texture using a 1.2mm tip.

Here's a close up of the final finish right after spraying......
IMG_0984.JPG

Right about when I was feeling a sense of accomplishment, a $%*@'ing moth showed up to check out my work. Little SOB make quite the impression on my new gel coat job ......
IMG_0985.JPG

Joke was on him though ..... I apparently had my hardener ratio right cause I found him a short time later covered in hardened gel coat
IMG_0986.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 1

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I saw this thread come up, and had to look. Not that this pic will help, but should make you feel like you have an easier task at hand. My son's friend spent years on this '59. 59 Coronado 2a.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was able to sand out the remaining orange peel this weekend and get the final coat of gel coat sprayed on my dock box lid this past weekend. The last coat was thinned down with about 30% patch booster which laid down really nice with very minimal texture using a 1.2mm tip.

Here's a close up of the final finish right after spraying......

Right about when I was feeling a sense of accomplishment, a $%*@'ing moth showed up to check out my work. Little SOB make quite the impression on my new gel coat job ......

Joke was on him though ..... I apparently had my hardener ratio right cause I found him a short time later covered in hardened gel coat

I know exactly what you are talking about and feeling. I had an insert make his landing approach on a freshly clear coated car one time. He is still there in the clear coat as a memorial. I guess I could have feathered him out by wet sanding him flat, but being so small I just let him stay. Seems inserts love wet paints. :facepalm:

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's an awesome boat and a true classic GarbageGuy! I boat in PA but I'm very close to Deep Creek Md where there are still a few guys restoring the old wooden Chris Crafts and Century's but it is a skill that is fading fast. Nice to see such a young guy taking interest in that type of boat. GM, I memorialized that moth by stepping on him (repeatedly) and putting him my trash can where we will become memorialized long term in the local landfill :rip:. When I spray the boat hull I will have a plastic curtain around it like I had while I was sanding so hopefully that will limit the insect traffic.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think that I am (finally) ready to gelcoat the hull. I wet sanded and polished a corner of my dock box test subject and was able to remove all orange peel and get it to a new boat shine....after a good bit of elbow grease. I now just need to finish hanging new plastic to form my makeshift spray booth and wait for my supplies to arrive Thursday or Friday. Of course that is also the time that our hot weather is supposed to break where we are looking at low to mid 60 deg temps on Saturday and Sunday leaving me to ask if anyone knows what the minimum temp should be to spray gel coat?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I don't know enough about gelcoat but work is looking good! You go boyyyy!