Century Coronado restore

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree Willyclay, safety first. I was thinking that I'll sleep much better once it is flipped but then again, I probably won't since the next step is gelcoat and I have no idea what I am getting myself into with that :help:. The members of Dry Dock have steered me in the right direction up to this point so I'm sure I will get through this too.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got the time and manpower together to get the hull flipped this weekend and now I am at the "Oh S*%@!" part of the project where I am staring at a hull trying to figure out how to do cosmetic work:noidea:. A couple of the guys helping with the flip suggested that I have my wife film but I thought about it and decided I didn't want to chance becoming famous for one of those "Stupid People Tricks" videos on TV. Fortunately, the flip went safe and sound so I figured I share some pics

Started by building a cradle around the boat using 2 X 6 lumber that would double as a dolly once the boat was turned over.

First part of the roll

And finally all the way over

After removal of the cradle except for the part that is now the dolly. This is when it hit me that I have no idea of what to do now (lol)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't remember if you said, are you painting, or re-gelcoating?

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually both. my plan is to re-gelcoat the white and then re-paint the blue (which is already paint).

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have no experience with the gel, but I DO know that you will need to get things sanded down a bit in order for the new stuff to bite. When I painted mine, I sanded with 80 grit prior to the primer, but I know that a lot of guys have sanded with 120 and then primed. As you sand, look for scratches / gouges and any other imperfections that you may want to repair. Of course, it depends on what paint system you are using as to how much / what prep you need to do. I'm sure some of the more experienced painters will chime in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you're gunna gelcoat the white section of the hull you will need to sand it ALL off down to fresh glass. 80 grit is preferred. The gelcoat needs to be applied so it's about as thick as a Penney (20mils) If you've never done gelcoat it can be a bit challenging but doable by paying close attention to details. ondarvr is our resident expert on gelcoat sooo when the time comes I'd recommend PM'ing him for sage advice.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. Soooo, it looks like it will be 80 grit to get started, at least on the gel coat area. I have access to a good air powered long board sander that we bought for a special sheet metal job that went to China a couple years ago and it is just sitting here looking all lonely. I am thinking that I will need a new compressor since all I have is a small pancake style compressor especially when thinking ahead to when I go to spray gel and paint. What size compressor do you think I will need for the remainder of this job and what other air tools might I need for the prep work?

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys.....going looking tonight after work so I can hopefully have it by the weekend, get it hooked up and start sanding...... something to work forward to in this high humidity we have been having. btw, hope you don't mind if I tell the wife Woody and Nurseman told me that I needed to spend this money ..... if an angry girl named Cheryl gets in touch with you that would just be my wife :sorry:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Check Craigslist. I bought a LIKE NEW Sears 60 gallon, 5 HP compressor for $250 5 years ago. You might get lucky like me. The Admiral sometimes loses sight of the ultimate goal...Being on the Lake without a care in the world, On a Like New Boat that costs 75% less than a Brand New one!!!!;)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a compressor on Craigslist that fits the size/power recommended but very quickly realized I know nothing bout compressors so I am not sure if it is a good deal or not. The brand is Iron Horse, which I have never heard of but then again ..... I know nothing bout them. Any suggestions if this is a good deal or not? It looks to be more than 1/2 the $$$ what I have found new.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5734285176.html

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sooo, I did some research on the Iron Horse compressors. Overall the customer reviews are Positive. It cost over $1,000 new. IMHO if you keep oil in it and keep her drained of water...It should be a good deal. My Sears was a Lot older and it's still working after 5 years of heavy use.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Found a compressor on Craigslist that fits the size/power recommended but very quickly realized I know nothing bout compressors so I am not sure if it is a good deal or not. The brand is Iron Horse, which I have never heard of but then again ..... I know nothing bout them. Any suggestions if this is a good deal or not? It looks to be more than 1/2 the $$$ what I have found new.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5734285176.html

I'd jump on that compressor if it were around me. At that price, you can use it and even sell it and probably make some money. JMHO.

I also looked over your hull flip. Interesting concept you used. I just flipped my tri-hull, but since we still are in the upper 90 degrees with near 100% humidity yet, I haven't done much since my flip. I will be watching your progress now. :thumb:

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
GM, I already had the cradle made when I saw how you flipped yours so I figured just stick with my original plan. Thank goodness I had 7 strong guys (well, 6 strong guys and me) since it got pretty heavy on the last part of the flip. When I go to flip it back upright I will have some assistance from some sort of overhead rigging to help with the weight. As far as the compressor ....I got it for $400 and I am picking it up today after work and hope to get it hooked up this weekend. I agree with you with the heat ....hard to find the motivation to do anything when it is so humid. Supposed to cool off a bit here next week. Thanks for watching and I have been and will continue following your build ..... especially now that you are moving toward the prep and paint.

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
The PO had poked four holes in the gunwales for pole holders and I am thinking that it will be a much easier patch job while the boat is upside down since I won't be trying to lay glass upside down.

I found that I can slide under the boat while it is on the cradle and easily get to the holes as shown below

Any advise on how I should go about patching such a large hole?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not a huge problem. You can easily take some 1708 and poly resin and patch that without issue. First you have to grind the area to get to fresh clean fiberglass. That way the new polyester resin will have something to attach to. Then put something over the hole on the outside and lay your first 1708 material on the inside with the poly resin. Once that cures, you can add additional patches over the first going further out from the previous patch until you build it up. Then you can go to the outside, remove the item you had laid over the hole and duplicate that same technique. It will be as solid as the rest of the hull. JMHO

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks GM. I have done most of this rebuild using epoxy but did patch some holes I ground through the hull with poly since I had planned to gel coat the bottom. I should have enough 1708 left for the patch but need help remembering which side the CSM goes when I lay the first patch. :stupid: