Tuffy 154 restoration

Coersum

Cadet
Last summer, I was looking for a cheap boat to go fishing since I had not gone in a few years (kids happened hehe), found this Tuffy 154 15' tri-hull for $75 with trailer. It wasn't pretty and both boat and trailer needed work (still do) but to me it was beautiful, lots of open space, tri-hull for stability etc.

Cleaned it up, stripped pealing paint that was on gelcoat (sanded it rdy to prime), replaced all wood/carpet, patched holes, put a 1969 20hp Johnson on it and off I went fishing knowing I would have more work this spring.

Now there was a lot of patches that were done before on the boat hull and I did some more which makes it pretty ugly on the outside. I can't put much into it as I am hoping to get something better/bigger in a couple of years (and budget is limited by the mrs.)

Question: Should I put a coat of fiberglass cloth(what oz?)/resin on the hull then prime/paint Fiberglass Bottomkote? NT or just prime/paint? (there are a lot of little hair cracks in this old thing).

Could I use Topside paint? (trailered boat only in the water for up to 6-8 hours maybe once a week but has carpeted bunks)

How I got it:

Sripped:

Right now:

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Tuffy 154 restoration

There's not a lot to those old Tuffy's. If the Transom is solid I'd say for what you paid for it leave it alone and use as-is and save for a complete upgrade. They didn't use a lot of reinforcement in those boats and I don't believe they even used any wood stringers in them either. Hence all the spider cracks in the gelcoat.

Had an old Hy-Ryder that was pretty much the same boat. It was to the point that it was cut up because it wasn't worth the cost of repairs to make it really nice looking.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to iboats

I'd suggest that you remove & replace the bare 2X10 transom that's been notched to accommodate a longer then short shaft motor (original low transom height) but shorter then long shaft motor (it's usually 5"+/- difference between long shaft transom height, 20", & short shaft height, 15"). The cut out seems to only raise the motor 1.5-2"+/-...

20130730_180842.jpg

IF you are using, or plan to use, an outboard of any size. I'm pretty sure it's rated for more then a 20hp motor. If you only plan to ever use it or a small electric trolling motor, then perhaps I'd run it as is. The bare 2X won't last long being exposed to the elements. Parked inside or under permanent shelter (not a tarp), it may last longer.

I'm not familiar w/ Tuffy boats, but how are they built w/out wood stringers? Foam filled like a Whaler, or did they run glass stringers w/ no wood coring? I'd be interested in what's below decks, foam, no foam flotation. If it's got flotation foam below decks, I'd also like to know what kind of shape it's in..... Older, vintage, CHEAP boats aren't typically well cared for, and the deck can hide all manner of nastiness.....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

When they build them there really is nothing under the decking all the foam is in the sides.

Coersum

Cadet

Welcome to iboats.

Thank you

There's not a lot to those old Tuffy's. If the Transom is solid I'd say for what you paid for it leave it alone and use as-is and save for a complete upgrade. They didn't use a lot of reinforcement in those boats and I don't believe they even used any wood stringers in them either. Hence all the spider cracks in the gelcoat.

Had an old Hy-Ryder that was pretty much the same boat. It was to the point that it was cut up because it wasn't worth the cost of repairs to make it really nice looking.

No there are no wood stringer except maybe at the very center (the floor is only about 1/4 to 1/2" thick except at the keel). There are wood reinforcements on the sides.

Welcome to iboats

I'd suggest that you remove & replace the bare 2X10 transom that's been notched to accommodate a longer then short shaft motor (original low transom height) but shorter then long shaft motor (it's usually 5"+/- difference between long shaft transom height, 20", & short shaft height, 15"). The cut out seems to only raise the motor 1.5-2"+/-...

IF you are using, or plan to use, an outboard of any size. I'm pretty sure it's rated for more then a 20hp motor. If you only plan to ever use it or a small electric trolling motor, then perhaps I'd run it as is. The bare 2X won't last long being exposed to the elements. Parked inside or under permanent shelter (not a tarp), it may last longer.

The piece of lumber on the transom is just an addition to raise the motor yes, it has no sign of any type of damage and from what the previous owner told me it was there for quite a while so I am guessing it's treated. What doesn't show is that the transom has a 1/4" aluminum plate attached to it on the inside that goes against that piece of lumber and the transom itself.

I am using a 20hp long shaft on it, the cavitation plate is aligned with the bottom of the boat.

I'm not familiar w/ Tuffy boats, but how are they built w/out wood stringers? Foam filled like a Whaler, or did they run glass stringers w/ no wood coring? I'd be interested in what's below decks, foam, no foam flotation. If it's got flotation foam below decks, I'd also like to know what kind of shape it's in..... Older, vintage, CHEAP boats aren't typically well cared for, and the deck can hide all manner of nastiness.....

It seems the floor itself is only fiberglass, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick except at the keel and sides which I believe have wood reinforcements. If there is any type of flotation foam, it would be in the keel. The flotation line is pretty low and haven't had any problem with water leak. I made the floor removable but have yet to see any water leak in.

My 20hp pushes it fast enough for me to get places, my small trolling motor works fine on it too even though that boat is on the heavy side.

The only thing I was thinking about doing to it this year was to give it a coat of paint to make it look a little bit better (also a lil bit of welding on trailer).

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Those old Tuffy's are some fishing machines,........

Coersum

Cadet

Those old Tuffy's are some fishing machines,........

I loved that boat because there is plenty of open space in it (you can cast from anywhere), my oldest is turning 4 and loves to go on the boat and she started to learn to cast late last summer :D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

That was a VERY popular fishing platform in it's day,...

No reason it won't serve you very well now,....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

In their day they set the standard for that class. The open floor plan is what they started. Great boat for medium sized lakes and rivers and easy for one person to handle.

Again I wouldn't throw a lot of money into it, especially for what you paid for it. If it were me I wouldn't even paint it because of the crazing you say it has. The paint just wont hold up long and the cracks will show thru the paint. Use it as a work horse and beat it up. Pretty doesn't catch fish! Save the money for your next bigger one. In a couple years as the children grow you're going to need and want a bigger one.

Coersum

Cadet

Well, my wife decided it was in need of some paint (we were painting a bench I made for the kids when they come in the boat and she got the idea).

I had put the boat on supports I made so I could get some welding done on the trailer.

So after a couple weeks of painting (could only paint in afternoon when temp and humidity were ideal), slapping a few coats on it and here it is (let's hope it holds on good):

20140409_174047.jpg
20140409_174100.jpg

20140409_174114.jpg

Next will be putting the floor back in with a wood plate I made for it so it's stronger, you can see the couple PVC rod holder I installed up front and with carpet I have left, I will carpet the edges of the boat (side flat and vertical maybe).

Then need to rebuild the carb with the kit I got and hope for test launch mid to end of May.

Attachments

• 20140409_174047.jpg
    20140409_174047.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of Primer and paint did you use? What prep work did you do prior to painting?

Coersum

Cadet

What kind of Primer and paint did you use? What prep work did you do prior to painting?

*bows in shame* know that this will be donated or dumped in a few years. I had sanded the gelcoat a lot last year since I wanted to paint it for the paint to grip on (no shine left). Cleaned it good, just used Krylon acrylic latex outdoor paint (supposed to be better adhesion and tougher paint from what I was told). We didn't want to put much in it, took 2 and half quart that were on sale to get 3 coats everywhere ($21). I tried the fingernail test and nothing came off (meaning I tried hard to scratch the paint off to see how well it adhered to it).

I also went in the morning when humidity was really high to make sure the paint wasn't coming off with same test and all good so far. I used a paintbrush by the railing for details and used different finishing foam rollers for the rest applying light coats. The finish isn't like a spray would do but I knew that. To us it looks pretty good, I just hope it hold 5 or 6 hours in the water (I might try to soak a part of it in a tub to see before to take it to the lake).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It prolly would have been a bit better if you would have done a pre-wipe down with Acetone but... the Krylon Acrylic is GOOD stuff and if the surface was good and clean and free of contaminates it should adhere quite well. It's fairly durable so you should get pretty good wear from it. As long as you don't leave the boat in the water for more than a day it should be fine.

Coersum

Cadet

This is what I meant by cleaned it good (wet rag wash, then acetone) ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Alrighty Then! That Paint should stick like Glue!!!
I'm bettin the fish will be jumpin in the boat to see if she's a purty on the inside as she is on the outside!!!:D

Coersum

Cadet

Alrighty Then! That Paint should stick like Glue!!!
I'm bettin the fish will be jumpin in the boat to see if she's a purty on the inside as she is on the outside!!!:D

Saldy and luckily (I still have a few things to get done), I still have another month minimum before the weather lets me try it. We still have ice on the lake, we had some light snow yesterday, Mother Nature needs to realize April's fool is over...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well...if there's Ice on the lake you could always rig the boat like this...

And go Ice Fishin' :eek::D
images

Last edited:

Coersum

Cadet

Wood> I think I'll wait it out :)

Moving along when I have some time, fixed a few misc things, about to start working on trailer a little bit but right now trying to think about some wiring and from what I read a circuit breaker is recommended for the trolling motor.

1) I am using an old 28lbs Weedless 65 Minn Kota trolling motor and of course I couldn't find much info about it. Reading something about 1amp per # of thrust so a 30amp breaker would do or should I get a 40 amp breaker instead? Looking at this 40A one or this 30A

2) Fish finder, I found a manual online, 1A inline fuse (I already have).

3) 12v Lighter Power Plug Outlet Socket, used for phone charging in case it goes dead again, doesn't draw more than an amp or 2 at most (charger says 5v/1A, I also have a dual usb charger for phone that say 5v/2A) so thinking 5A in-line fuse ok or should I put a 10A? placed in this: fuse holder using 10GA wire

4) Lights (all around in back and sidelights up front),
10A inline fuse with 10GA wire like for the 12v socket?

Coersum

Cadet

Not a huge update but been working on the trailer a bit since the weather isn't cooperating.

Scrapping/sanding paint off, repaint, fix lights, fix space between the 2 bunks (guess that trailer was never adjusted for tis boat), might add some guides too, fix some and add some welds.

Took apart the winch, scrapped/sanded 3 layers of paint, repaint, put back together.

From this:

To this:

Doesn't look brand new but pretty darn close.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

nice work and good detail! You'll be ready for a splash in no time.