78' StarCraft Tri Hull Rebuild

DerekG

Seaman
Have been doing a ton of research here and finally decided its time to get my boat back in shape. I used it 3 or 4 times over over 2 summers and has a freshly rebuilt 85 hp suzuki. Traded it for some labor finishing a basement for my dad and step mom. Got it home Thursday night and immediately started tearing into it. So here is my progress over the last few evenings.
outboard lifting straps.jpg
First things first. I had to build a stand for the outboard so I put one together Thursday night after work and started unhooking all the cables (steering, throttle electrical etc.) I didn't have a lifting ring and no one in town carried one so I strapped it at 3 points to make it stable while its suspended.
outboard rolling stand.jpg
My stand was built from others I had seen here. Strapping at 3 points worked like a charm. If i were doing this all the time I would order the lifting ring but I'm planning on doing it right and only once.
transom before outside.jpg
And here we have the culprit of the rotten transom. Several unused or unsealed holes from its years after being retired as a rental boat. These aren't the main reason I new had structure issues but I will cover that hole as my rebuild continues.
transom cutting inside.jpg
I had my first taste of grinding fiberglass. Cutting the inside of the transom skin free from the hull since It was glassed to the cap on the inside but not the outside.
lifting rear of cap.jpg
I used an engine hoist and straps to lift the rear of the cap free from the hull prior to blocking it up.

DerekG

Seaman
78' StarCraft Tri Hull Rebuild

tansom remains 2.jpgtransom remains 3.jpg
Not much left of the wood core transom. Makes me realize how lucky I am it held out as long as it did.
cap blocked up.jpg
I got the cap lifted free and blocked up on the hull before being completely removed.
cap and hull seperated.jpg
Finally after 3 evenings after work and about 4 hours today I'm finally ready to clean out the hull and let the grinding begin. I will keep updating on a regular basis as my rebuild progresses. Thanks to everyone that contributes their knowledge on here, without it I wouldn't have had a clue on where to start.

DerekG

Seaman
Re: 78' StarCraft Tri Hull Rebuild

Have been busy with work during the day and working on the boat in the evenings and on weekends. I haven't been posting every step but taking pictures along the way while i work. (seems i get more done that way) I will get pictures of my progress so far uploaded tonight, which includes some prep work before painting.

SigSaurP229

Commander

You really need to build a system to hold the hull. That fiberglass hull will warp without the support of the cap

DerekG

Seaman

Are there any styles of cradles that seem to work best in your experience? Still haven't researched that part much. The hull is cleaned out (floor, stringers, transom and foam removed) and flipped upside down to do all my hull repairs, sanding and painting. I plan on finishing the outside of the hull completely before flipping it onto a cradle. That way I'm only flipping it once and when its as light as its going to be. I got busy sanding last night since it was so nice but I will upload photos tonight. Suppose to have 30 mph wind and rain by the time I'm off work.

DerekG

Seaman

Weather forecast was wrong for tonight so i spent the evening sanding but finally uploading my progress.
View attachment 228170View attachment 228171View attachment 228172

So after getting all the old flooring, transom, stringers and foam removed, so the hull was nice and light, i flipped it to start my repairs. I don't have pictures of flipping it but i used an engine hoist at the bow and lift/rotated the stern over on the trailer with a couple 2x10's across the bunk boards.
View attachment 228173View attachment 228174

So now im finally ready to start glassing. I used medium setting polyester resin and CSM for the repairs below. I plan on adding a layer of CSM and couple layers of mat on the inside of the hull to reinforce my patches. Hoping that will be sufficient.
View attachment 228178View attachment 228177View attachment 228176

After glassing everything in i realized i for to add wax to the last layer so i covered all of them with sarran wrap i stole from our kitchen :p worked perfect to get the surface to cure without a sticky residue. I knocked off the high with a belt sander with a 60 grit belt and used the nose to rough up any low spots that were shiny to make sure my filler had something to hold onto.

For the filler i was going to mix my own when i stopped at one of the very few local boat shops and they suggest a supplier in town that carried this stuff. 3M? Short Strand Fiberglass Reinforced Filler.

It spread on smooth and filled the smallest of pits. Best/worst part is that its ready to sand in 15 to 20 minutes. So no big deal if you miss a spot the first time around.

filler transom.jpgfiller keel 2.jpgfiller chips.jpgfiller keel.jpg

A lot more time with the block sander to get everything flowing smoothly down the hull and prepping the rest for primer/paint by sanding with an orbital sander up to 180 grit. Feel free to chime in with any tips or let me know if im headed in the right direction.

DerekG

Seaman

I finally got all my repair work done on the hull and it stayed warm enough to get 2 coats of primer on before Nebraska decided it wasnt quite spring yet.

primer.jpgprimer 2.jpgprimer snow.jpg

This is the painting guide im using on my boat. I purchased a bostich hvlp spray gun for $50 at walmart and a regulator for it for another $15. Something i could have borrowed but i have a feeling it will be getting more use than just this project. Plus who doesn't need more tools :)

http://forums.iboats.com/portland-pudgy/paint-your-boat-under-100-bucks-571508.html

Hopefully the weather will warm back up next weekend and i can get my 2 coats of finish paint on. I plan to paint the hull and cap completely white while separate, replace the cap and then paint all my navy blue accent stripe so it all matches up perfectly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What Primer/Paint are you using for the Hull? Did you take a LOT of measurements on the inside of the hull prior to removing the deck and stringers? As mentioned, it will flex and move a lot, so the measurement are needed to ensure you can get her back where she was to allow the cap to fit back on.;) These links might be of some help with your painting and construction...

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

DerekG

Seaman

I used the same rust preventative primer as what was mentioned in the "Paint your Boat for under $100" link you posted. Plan on using the same enamel with hardener and reducer as the thread states. I took measurements at 4 different spots on where the hull and cap meet prior to removing the cap. Hope i have enough measurements but will probably replace the cap to build a cradle to hold the hulls shape, then remove the cap one last time to do the stringers, transom and floor. A little extra work but I'd feeler better than trusting only 4 measurements. Unless you think that is enough to get the original shape so the cap goes back on smoothly.

I have done a fair amount of reading on your second link but i will be re-reading it several time to make sure i didn't miss anything. Thanks for pointers. I'm always appreciative of those who are willing to share their knowledge.

DerekG

Seaman

Woodonglass,
I did have a question on sanding the primer. Since its now too cold to paint I might as well get the prep done so im ready when it decides to warm up. What grit of sand paper do you recommend and what method. Sanding block, hand sanding contours orbital on the flat surfaces. I want to get rid of any orange peel but not sand through the prime. Planning on navy blue accent stripe if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used 220 on the primer and I wet sanded. You just want to knock down the nubs and get rid of any runs and imperfections. You're looking to make it smooth with just a bit of a "Bite" for the color coats. I did it all by hand using a piece of foam and a 1/2 sheet of sand paper. Spray bottle to keep it wet. I used "Wet Water" water with a few drops of dish soap in it. Then I rinsed it off with clean water and final wipe down with mineral spirits prior to first color coat. I used a scotch brite pad to wet sand between the color coats NO Sand paper.

I would for sure put the cap back on and take measurements across the top at 1 foot intervals, front to back at the top and at the deck level. It's critical to keep these constant when the stringers and deck go back in in order to get the cap to go back on. You can use nylon straps wrapped around the hull to help maintain the shape while you're working on her.

Last edited:

DerekG

Seaman

Using wet water worked great for sanding the primer. Mixed it up in a spray bottle and ended up mixing about 15 32oz bottles of the stuff. Wind died down enough to get the first coat of finish paint on. Hopefully the second coat tomorrow and then use roll on bed liner on the keel on Sunday. Pictures to come.

DerekG

Seaman

I sprayed the final coat of white paint this morning and its now dry. I followed Woodonglass's painting thread/advice in this thread every step of the way and am very pleased with how it came out. Like I said before I plan use the exact same steps on the cap and then once everything is back together, mask off and paint the navy blue accent stripe. Tomorrow I hope to get use a roll on bed liner on the keel but we will see if I get it done with easter dinner.

paint 1.jpgpaint 2.jpgpaint 3.jpg

DerekG

Seaman

So with the second coat of paint completely dry i started in on my alternative to the keel guard (over priced and ugly in my opinion). I decided a roll on bed liner is the route i wanted to go to prevent damage to the finish from the occasional beaching and loading/unloading on the trailer.

taping.jpg

The directions on the can said to use a scotch bright pad to scuff/dull the surface. I opted for 80 grit sand paper. I figure the rougher the surface the better it will adhere. To sand right up to the edge of the tape i hand sanded carefully but with the blue painters tape its plenty tough if it takes some hits from the sand paper. Once the edges were scuffed about an inch out from the tape i finished the rest with an orbital sander.

prep 1.jpgprep 2.jpgprep 3.jpg

DerekG

Seaman

After all the prep was done i wiped everything down several times with denatured alcahol and started rolling on the bed liner. I started at the back and very slowly worked my way to the front. By the time i finished to first coat the back was ready for a second coat and started rolling at the back again. The grit in it went on a little spotty at first but with more rolling evened out nicely. Here is the finished product still slightly wet.
keel cover 1.jpgkeel cover 2.jpg

DerekG

Seaman

Probably wont have much for updates this week since it will be flipping the hull back over and grinding the old glass off from the stringers and cleaning up the transom skin.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very nice job on the Painting and the Keel Guard. Please keep us posted next year on how the Bedliner performs as a "KeelGuard" substitute. What was the cost for the Roll on Stuff?

jbcurt00

Staff member

And whether it holds up well or not, please post up whose bedliner w/ the appropriate details.

Looks like it went down great. Nice work.