Is this a good buy 1972 chris craft lancer

lancer6767

Recruit
Hello everybody I am new to this forum, looks great so far. I have had boats my entire life, bass boats, bayliners and kayaks. I am looking to add a Chris craft Lancer to the fleet. I wanted your guys opinion on this boat. He wants $500 for the boat and trailer, It is a 1972 Chris Craft Lancer. it has solid floors and no soft spots. My concern is the motor, it looks nice but he never heard it run he bought it as a project,but never got around to starting it. Are these motors solid? Do they have problems from sitting? Here are pics.IMG_0633[1].jpgIMG_0631[1].jpgIMG_0629[1].jpgIMG_0627[1].jpg

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this a good buy 1972 chris craft lancer

For $500 it's a steal.

lancer6767

Recruit

Even with having no idea what shape the motors in? It looks clean from what I can see, but he doesn't have battery's or a anything else needed to start it.

MikDee

Banned

It's an old boat, it's in good shape for it's age,,, So am I :D But, you don't know if you can replacement parts for it? The engine looks like a marine small block chevy, but if it's seized, or needs to be redone, it's just a fancy 500lb anchor. If you got the time, silly money, and ambition, for $500 it's a bargain.

lancer6767

Recruit

Ya it's not the cosmetics that worry me it's the motor. The lifters look brand new from taking the little covers off but that doesn't say much. I'm gonna talk to him see if I could hear it crank if I bought a battery over.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Compression check, drop the oil in the pan and inspect, for $500 you can always part it out , trailer , other used stuff too.

Ned L

Commander

Fresh water cooled small block Chevy. ----- I'll put my money on it being a good running engine that will need less than $25 to get running nicely. Even if the engine is shot you can drop a brand new GM 350 crate engine in for less than $2000 (swap over all the marine parts) . That is a good boat that if taken care of will hold its value (and there is a definate market for them).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

The motor is an SBC painted crusaders blue, so I suspect a Crusaders. I would change oil, pull the plugs, do a compression test. then if that looks good, rebuild the carb, replace the fuel pump, install new plugs, points, condensor, cap and wires. Then change the fluid on the trans and splash it if everything else on the hull looks good.

lancer6767

Recruit

What would it be worth after it is fixed up and looks nice?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

only what the buyer would be willing to pay. a quick google search shows one in completely restored condition as $7900 However you will probably spend that much to get your boat in the same condition.

most people do not rebuild to flip, we rebuild because we like the boat.

zool

Captain

Apparently, some ask a premium for a restored Lancer

Theres currently a restored 74 for $69,000 and a clean one for $13,000+

Search CC lancer on Yacht world and see some nice pics to help with your build...the links wont post here for some reason..

Last edited: