Remodelled swim platform

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have decided to remodel the swim platform on our 87' Celebrity Calais. The old one was about 18" square, not much room to turn around on. Decided to take it off and attach the one handrail on the SB side. Getting a friend who does welding to make me a couple of stainless brackets for the center portion. I'm using 1x6 decking boards which I will treat and then apply a non slip coating. Also picked up a couple of stainless grab handles which I mounted on the stern.
swimdeck.jpg

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Remodelled swim platform

How do you plan on treating the wood? I assume they are pressure treated, being decking boards.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ones in the pic are just spruce. I have a ton of these laying around for corral work. I just used them here to get an idea of what the finished project would look like. I plan on using pressure treated boards and on using a roll on product that can be tinted any color.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Spruce is used in the Marine Industry all the time and is one of the best woods to use due to its high resin content. You might want to consider using staying with it. Staining it with a good oil based stain and then coating with a couple of coats of epoxy and then finish off with 3-4 coats of Epiphanes Marine varnish. You can mix some non slip in with the last to coats of Varnish it'll look fantastic.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woodonglass.........thanks for the great advice! appreciate it. Keeps the cost down too. Only in the water (fresh) for about three weeks in the year and the boat is stored in a heated shop in the winter. I'm sure it would take a long time for those boards to rot through. Probably end up having to replace the transom sooner!

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Project completed!
swim.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh No, No,No!!! You don't get off with a simple Project Completed!!!! I MUST have ALL the details. What did you use, how did you do it?? Details Man Details!!!!:D

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK...here are the gory details.Used spruce 1x6 decking boards. These were stained with a teak stain till I got the right shade. After that was done I sprayed on a water based PU, slightly sanding between coats. On the third coat I sprinkled on some tread tex then sprayed on one more coat of PU. The sand was pretty sharp....so I sanded it down till it was more comfortable finish and then sprayed on a fifth and final coat. All the hardware...ie: bolts, screws, washers and nuts are stainless.Getting two SS brackets made up for the center area...those will be screwed to the transom and bolted from the top. Hopefully that suffices?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Was the PU Marine Based? Does it have UV protectants? That's very important.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it has UV protectants......made sure of that! Thanks again for all the great advice.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

SAWEEET!!!! She should give you a LOT of great service. Make sure and check back with us and let us know how she holds up. I'm sure you're gunna like your results.