Ratio of MEKP to Poly Resin

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Ratio of MEKP to Poly Resin

Depends on what are you trying to do. 1.1 to 1.2% (cold) to pre saturate ply wood. 1.5-2.0% for glass work depends on ambient temperature. It also vary by the resin itself so it is best to follow the manufacture recommendations.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Like DeepBlue said, it would be best to contact your specific supplier/manufacturer for the best info...
As he also mentioned it depends on several climatic factors as well...
In my neck of the world, I can and have gone as low as .5% and rarely ever get over 1.5-1.75%...
In colder climates you could probably go as high as 2.5-2.75%
If you can't get a good answer from your source, you may have to do a bit of testing to see what ratio allows you a good working and "kick" time...
:)

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the label if my poly resin, it says to mix at 1% at 20 degrees C. Depending on what I'm doing (soaking plywood, mixing PB, laying glass), I have been mixing anywhere between 1% and 1.5%. I will usually get 20-30 minutes working time before it starts to kick. It stays tacky for a couple hours before really setting up, overnight it becomes rock solid. That is for my particular resin, double check with your particular manufacturer.

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help,does flowcote mix at the same ratio,I know it uses te same hardner

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Flowcoat is pretty much Gelcoat with a wax additive to make it cure non tacky.