Old Original Alumacraft Oars

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have what I am pretty darn sure are 4 (2 sets) or original 1950-ish Alumacraft oars that came with my boat.

They are about ohhh... 7 - 8ft tall... solid pieces...

They have, what I think is a leather cuff around the oar, and that is wrapped in the metal bracket with the insert, with the locking pin...??

Any value to these?... they are pretty beat up, but useable ...some cracking and splitting....

Am thinking of sanding them down, putting some wood filler in the cracks and splits, staining, and sealing them...

Although I am modifying the boat, and painting it, I would like to keep some of the antiquities that accompany the boat.

[Edit - I was just told the "metal brackets" I refer too are the oar mounts.]

Last edited:

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Old Original Alumacraft Oars

Yes, they are wood.

Could I use a Spar Urethane ?
Is that similar to a marine varnish?

Are they wood? Yes you can sand them and give them about 4 coats of marine varnish and steel wool between the coats.

The proper name is "Oar Locks" oar lock

Marine varnishes found here Marine Varnishes

Ned L

Commander

Oh please,.... Steel wool and boats should never be used in the same sentence (or used together)! Over time tiny bits of the steel wool that break off will rust and cause stains.

And yes, they are "oar locks" or "row locks".

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes, spar urethane will work and don't worry bits of steel wool will not mark up your boat unless you want to be sitting in the boat when you use it! :facepalm: People usually paint oars whit out of the boat ;)

Ned L

Commander

Yea, ...... even if not around the boat, the rust specks may even show up in the varnish on the oars.
----Not such an issue in fresh water, but steel wool can wreak havoc around salt water boats with little rust stains bleading right through finish coats of paint etc, and the only way to get rid of the problem is to strip the finish and start over.

Yes, bronze wool, S.S. wool, and green scotch pads are fine, Not steel wool!