bottom paint and repair

Hello all,

I have a 26' 1978 Skiffcraft inboard that seems to be in good shape. Last season I hit a log and delaminated a few sections of lap strake. My bilge activity increased for a day or two then went back to normal. Normal for this boat is the rear bilge pump turning on at least every hour even after the seasonal soak-up. Before the seasonal launch this year, I'm going to repaint the bottom and would like some advice on what type of antifouling paint I should use and an acceptable way to repair the damaged area's. I've attached a few photo for reference. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: bottom paint and repair

WOW that appears to be plywood that is de-laminating. Depending on the condition of the wood here is how I would do it.

I would sand it down and extend to the surrounding areas. KEEP IT DRY!! Then I would use 2 part epoxy and some fiberglass cloth to repair it.

Here are some supplies Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building

and I would go with some cloth MAS Fiberglass Cloth & Tape and use it with this epoxy Low Viscosity Epoxy Resin

Epoxy is waterproof (more so then fiberglass). After it is applied and dry.....sand it and prime it with an epoxy primer and then do your paint Boat Paint & Varnish

The type of anti-fouling really depends on the water you dock in. Most anti-fouling paints are designed for salt water and can break the bank. Depending on how long you leave it in the water.......actually regular oil based enamel will work and is cheap too ;)

keep going post more pictures :)