98 bayliner trophy 2052 cockpit deck rott under port pedestal

ms44-86bc

Recruit
Good morning....

The boat has a cuddy cabin with 4.6ltr inboard engine
My deck is soft/rotten from no sealant under the port cockpit pedestal chair from the Mfg(Florida plant)

I am the original owner

I removed the pedestal 7 years ago and sealed the holes with a marine grade soft sealant

The boat has been in my garage/shop(dry storage)for the last 5 years and the floor has continued to soften

What would be the process to repair/replace the floor approximately 2 foot in diameter...or is there another fix for this problem?

thank-you

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: 98 bayliner trophy 2052 cockpit deck rott under port pedestal

Welcome to iboats. If you are sure that this is the only piece of wood that is rotted, you can cut it using a circular saw set at the depth of the deck, glue and fasten a cleat, seal the edges and install a new piece of exterior grade or marine grade ply wood, seal edges and fiberglass it in and call it good. But unfortunately boat rot is like cancer; by the time it declares its own existence, it is already too late. Boats rot from stern to bow and from bottom up. Having signs of rot on the deck – more likely than not – is a sign of a much bigger problem under the deck. Thoroughly check and inspect your stringers, transom and bulkheads to determine the status of the boat before you go with a Band-Aid type fix. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

ms44-86bc

Recruit
Re: 98 bayliner trophy 2052 cockpit deck rott under port pedestal

well...I posted a reply already...but I see it did not "post"......so thanks for the info, I think im gonna glass a panel over the soft area.....theres NO WAY to match the decks "no slip" pattern.....im not wanting to spend a lot of $$$...its my boat from the start, so I guess I need to get rid of some toys......in THIS day & age....food is more important than fun :)