1974 Glastron

well..after some cleaning..paint..and ALOT of odds and ends...( and a few to go)... this boy and this boat are about to meet the water this saturday!!PhotoGrid_1394463034902.jpg

:)

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 Glastron

Nice looking boat GlastronRookie! Good to know someone is ready for the water!

jbcurt00

Staff member

attachment.php

Got any details about what you've done to her? Pix before & during rehab plus some more after you splash her Sat?

IMG_20140223_094320_043.jpgIMG_20140223_094320_043.jpgIMG_20140223_094408_426.jpgjbcurt00..... I have a few pics of here from when I first got her about a month ago...its my first boat. When I got her she had basically been neglected...mostly cosmetic stuff and the guy had started tearing it apart and "painting it"... Ive spent the last several weeks mostly cleaning and locating miscelanious parts and hardware...had to rebuild a seat frame...nothing major. Being my first boat I felt like i need to get it out on the water a little and see wha it would need in the long run. the deck has a couple soft spots in it nothing major so that is in the future this winter probably. I really love the looks of this boat..just finished painting it back to ( well close) to the original color...the previous owner had decided on blue. got the windows pieced back together..rub rail and trim all put back together..like i said nothing major .....YET..LOL

jbcurt00

Staff member

Be extremely careful until you pull the deck, I might not use it until that had been resolved. My 1960 Glastron FireFlite had no flotation foam below deck & my stringer system was wood-free so I didn't have any additional wood to remove after getting the deck up. Lots of work since, but at least I didn't need to replace the stringers or remove waterlogged foam.

By 1974, Glastron may have changed the way they built boats. Your transom is also wood encased in fiberglass and succeptible to water intrusion, ESP if near a soft deck.

I do know the guy I bought it from had it on the lake several times last summer. I have been checking all the major things but one thing I cant figure out is where the bilge pump is..if there is one...I see a hose right in front of the motor connected to a fitting that has another hose connected to it that seems to run under the deck but I cant see beyond it...I dont see any wires coming out of it but that connector definitely sits in a small water collection area. I also dont see a out let on the side of the boat where the water would be pumped out of the bilge. ..??

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do know the guy I bought it from had it on the lake several times last summer. I have been checking all the major things but one thing I cant figure out is where the bilge pump is..if there is one...I see a hose right in front of the motor connected to a fitting that has another hose connected to it that seems to run under the deck but I cant see beyond it...I dont see any wires coming out of it but that connector definitely sits in a small water collection area. I also dont see a out let on the side of the boat where the water would be pumped out of the bilge. ..??

My boat is an Inboard Sterndrive but it should be basically the same. In the bilge recess, at the end of the hose, will be the pump. Mine is directly below the Trim Pump in this photo (at the bottom of the photo) and has a white screen top:
DSC00405.jpg

My outlet is on the starboard side and looks like this:
100_4126.jpg

Yours (if it is there) should look similar, but there are a few different styles I have seen researching replacement parts.

Mine has just a simple Toggle Switch to operate it and no float.

Hope this is some help!

Last edited: