Advice on Dinghy

chipper137

Recruit
Hi everyone looked everywhere but couldnt find the right answers and wad looking for some sound advice.

Im a boat noob and recently got a free 8ft fiberglass dinghy that was left behind when my renters took off on me. The boat looks ok but I know its old and has been outside not covered. I know the last owners used it all the time but im a bit scared. Im a big guy 260lbs and when i step in the boat the floor flexes. No wood its just the fiberglass.

All i want it for is to use on small lakes for trout fishing. I got a 40lbs minn and battery. Now I know some of you are probably laughing but im worried because it seems like any little rock and some pressure and im gonna be swimming. So...

1) im i worried for nothing?

2) should i just scrap it?
3) can i use fiberglass cloth and reinforce the bottom with min $?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Advice on Dinghy

Welcome to iBoats, Chipper . . .

When you say the floor flexes, is that if you step into on land or in the water?

Small fiberglass dinghies are not the strongest things in the world, so it may be OK. My advice would be to put your PFD (aka life jacket) on and try it out close to shore. If it seems to be OK, then you could head out to deeper waters. If it leaks or seems to have deep cracks in the fiberglass, then swing back with some photos of the issue(s).

Be safe.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome, chipper...
Like "tpenfield" said...put on a PFD, toss the dinghy in the water, maybe tie a rope off to shore and climb in...they are made to support weight in the water, not on land...
Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Have Fun!
GT1M

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

:welcome:I'm sorryfat-guy-little-boat.jpg your description made me think of this:laugh:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Here are a few ideas............. Paint and sell the dinghy and trade up to a 12' aluminum boat.

Forget the trolling motor and battery because you are really only adding weight to the boat. I would use oars to get around. A small 8' rows very easy.

Yes as mentioned above the hull will flex and is only made to support a load while in the water...... on land it could crack.

Go have fun! We want fish pictures ;)