84 Hydra Sport 2400cc

bpowell12

Recruit
I purchased a 84 Hydra Sport 2400cc about a year ago. I have slowly been making repairs and upgrades to the boat. I can not find any information on this boat such as hull construction or layout. I am looking for someone who may have done a rebuild on one of these or has seen the construction under the deck. The boat leans to the left under power so I think there might be water located somewhere but I have not been able to find any. I have cut two access ports to see what is under the deck. All I seem to find is dry foam everywhere. I am beginning to think the boat is foam with fiberglass overlay. I also removed the 100 gallon or more gas tank to see what I could find but turned up nothing. Any information on this boat will be greatly appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 84 Hydra Sport 2400cc

You are probably only seeing/feeling the top of the foam and it may very well appear to be dry.

Take a core sample of the foam w/ a 2" piece of PVC 24" long, along the port (left, standing at the motor looking forward to the bow) side of the boat. Cut teeth in 1 end & use it like a hole saw. Drill down to the hull & remove a core sample of foam. Wait a bit & see if water backflows into the void in the foam. The core will likely show evidence of water intrusion or the hole will refill w/ water.

Is there any evidence of hull damage? Was the boat stored outside, uncovered before you bought it?

There may be a broken/leaking live/bait well or the fill/drain lines for those wells.

Post some pix of your boat while you're working on it.

bpowell12

Recruit
Re: 84 Hydra Sport 2400cc

I have cut another access port in the partition behind the gas tank. All I ended up finding was more dry foam so I replaced the cut out and glassed it back in. I cleaned the tank and reinstalled it in the boat. I did notice that when I put it back in that it was not level and leaning to the left. It was not a very drastic lean but might be a contributing factor to the problem. I am beginning to think that putting trim tabs on the boat will solve my problem. I just want to make sure before I shell out $600 dollars. I am starting to think I could be wrong about there being water under the deck somewhere.
032.jpgphoto.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: