My transom cut out... what do you think?

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 89 Powerplay Integra and I am swapping my transom assembly with a new one. I also just recently re-painted the whole bilge. So I sanded down the cut out and would like to seal it up and strengthen it more. What resin would you use for this? How does the condition of the wood look to you? Seems like the wood could dry out a little in my opinion. Thought about putting a heat lamp on it to help out.
20140309_155854.jpg20140309_155910.jpg20140309_155902.jpg

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: My transom cut out... what do you think?

Call me dumb, but why did you do this?
I don't understand.

Do you have a "before" photo?

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Because the paint that was there was coming off. Figure it couldnt hurt to seal it up more. I dont have any before pictures...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Call me dumb, but why did you do this?
I don't understand.

Do you have a "before" photo?

I thought the transom was cut off for a second, too. Then I realized that's the keyhole cutout after sanding.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, my bad.
I miss-read "So I sanded down the cut out.. ".

I thought it said, "So I sanded down and cut out .."

If the wood is moist, I would be looking further, to see if there is a bigger issue.

I think you will get differing opinions on resin.
Perhaps ask that question in the restoration forum.

Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 89 Powerplay Integra and I am swapping my transom assembly with a new one. I also just recently re-painted the whole bilge. So I sanded down the cut out and would like to seal it up and strengthen it more. What resin would you use for this? How does the condition of the wood look to you? Seems like the wood could dry out a little in my opinion. Thought about putting a heat lamp on it to help out.
20140309_155902.jpg20140309_155910.jpg20140309_155854.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Twice?

If 'paint' was coming off the cut out, are you sure it was paint & not gelcoat? Or a previous poorly done 'repair'? No pix of before, so I'm not sure how to compare any improvement.

I do agree w/ Roscoe, if the transom keyhole cutout plywood is wet or even damp, much more inspection & details will be required before you button up a new transom shield for the outdrive.........

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah i posted in restoration also as roscoe said to do. But yeah its a little moist... Ill throw some acetone on it and try to get some of the moister out. The wood doesnt seem to be rotten at all. It looks fresh.... just a little damp.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Must have been moved by a mod, both threads are in the resto forum.

Wet plywood trapped between the inner & outer skins of the fiberglass is unlikely to wick dry thru the keyhole cutout, IMO, w/ or w/out the aid of a heat lamp.