flooring question

fishtillimdead

Recruit
time to redo the floor in my 98 alumacraft 175 turney pro. what type of wood do i need to relpace my floor? one of my local hardwear stores has abx marine plywood on sale at $60 a sheet of 3/4". is this the right stuff and is this a good deal in any ones opinion? also do i need to do any thing to the plywood? ei... seal it? thanks for the help

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: flooring question

Hi and Welcome to iBoats. Yes, this is the best wood for the job and your price is really good since the 4*8 sheet of this type of ply is normally around $100/sheet

fishtillimdead

Recruit

awsome, im gonna messure it out and get soome ordered up asap. i know it will be a good load of work, but i will enjoy the boat so much more.... and isnt that the whole point.

fishtillimdead

Recruit

oh yeah.... do i need to seal it with any thing or just cut my pieces and carpet them?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

you sure need to seal it otherwise you will be changing it again in no time.

First, coat all pieces with poly resin mixed a little "cold" (this means it is catalyzied @ 1%) this will staurate the wood so it doesn't starve the glass out of resin when you apply it.
2) One layer of CSM on the under side
3) One layer of 1708 on the top side
4) Depends on how you want to finish

4.a) if you are going with a carpt, you can apply it now

4.b) if you will gelcoat, you need to apply one layer of CSM on top of the 1708 for a smoother surface

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wait......welcome to iboats. What is the thickness of your current plywood decking? If it is going to be replaced .....yank a piece and see. If it is 1/2" the 3/4" might not fit and will weigh more ;)

If it's marine plywood you can seal it with oil based paint, or fiberglass resin and csm, or epoxy resin. (from least to most $$)

AND since you are going to be inside the decking.....consider using gluvit to coat the seams and rivets.

Oh what the heck....... if the deck is soft chances are the transom wood could also stand replacing and yes that is a great price for marine plywood.

You can pick up just about everything you will need here (except the wood) Boat Paint, Repair & Maintenance - Boat Carpet, Fiberglass Repair, Antifouling

iboats will aso do a price guarantee ;)

Post some pictures of this project!

fishtillimdead

Recruit

had the transom done last year. i think its 3/4, but will check. thinner cost less so wouldnt mind that. the boat is stored in a garge with fans blowing on it when not out fishing. maybe gets 10-15 nights parked on shore or tied to a dock. have not decided on carpet or vinal

Last edited: