Fuel tank clean out question

Lifted

Cadet
Hello, I took ownership of a 2001 SeaFox that has sat for 10 years. I began siphoning out the old fuel which had a golden tint to it about 15 gallons worth. Then I poured 2 gallons of denatured alcohol into the tank and drained it out 30 minutes later. At first some black sediment came out followed by clear golden tinted fluid. Should I keep putting alcohol into the tank and drain it till it comes out clear white? Pulling the tank is not an option. Any suggestions would be great. I've searched all over the internet but only come up with the same few threads. Thanks

Gabe

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Fuel tank clean out question

Lifted;4515403 Pulling the tank is not an option.[/QUOTE said:
Agitating a gas tank to ensure you've gotten it clean will be difficult w/ it still installed in the boat.

I'm guessing it's installed below decks & you're pouring stuff in & siphoning it out thru the filler hole or have removed the sending unit & are going thru an access hatch in the deck.

Lifted

Cadet

Agitating a gas tank to ensure you've gotten it clean will be difficult w/ it still installed in the boat.

I'm guessing it's installed below decks & you're pouring stuff in & siphoning it out thru the filler hole or have removed the sending unit & are going thru an access hatch in the deck.

Yes the tank is below deck. I've been siphoning from the port that feeds fuel to the water separator. The sending unit is still in the tank.

image.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Yes the tank is below deck. I've been siphoning from the port that feeds fuel to the water separator. The sending unit is still in the tank.

View attachment 225235

Ayuh,.... Pull the gauge sender, 'n Look inside,....

Dependin' on what ya see, determines what ya wanta do,...