1975 Steury Fiberglass Tri-Hull... Odd livewell? What is this?

I just purchased a 1975 Steury Trihull. At the bow of the boat, in the floor, is a "livewell" or so it looks. Has a drain at the bottom that drains out the port bow. If I dump a bucket of water in it it will all drain out. Weird thing is.... There is no "pump" or Hose that will put water in it and no way to keep it in it (No overflow tube). The previous hookups that have been blocked off or anything.

What the heck is this thing for? It has a padlock latch on top... A buddy said, "Ice Chest?"

Any ideas?
livewell.jpg

Last edited:

Hoop1101

Cadet
Re: 1975 Steury Fiberglass Tri-Hull... Odd livewell? What is this?

I'm sure you could us it as an ice chest! My boat has two of those under the bow seats. Probably just so water won't collect in your storage area....?

Last edited:

It is definitely designed to be water tight (besides the drain). It has a seal along the lid and is solid molded fiber glass.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It would be a "deadwell" without an aerator pump, so I say ice chest also.

The hinges and hasp don't look factory to me.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

I am a former Steury tri hull owner and I really enjoyed the boat. It's just a storage compartment and the drain is so it does not hold water.

The Steury is a fairly well made boat however (sorry I have to say that) I would check the stringers and deck. On my old one the deck started to show signs of getting soft and the below decking was wet.

You will find that the hull and construction where the fiberglass is is thicker then you would expect. They have really strong transoms but again I would check the deck.

A very KEY thing is to get the boat at a good angle on the trailer and pour about 1 Gallon of water into that front hatch and see if it drains out through the bilge and out the rear plug. If it is slow...... or stuck I would use a coat hanger or thick weedeater string and snake out the drain hole.