Jon boat transom

sunderhill

Recruit
I have a very old 12' aluminum jon boat with a 7.5 hp outboard (55 lbs.) <br /><br />Anyone know of any reason not to use a Trex Deck (the new decking material made out of resin/plastic/wood) 1 x 12 for the new transom? The old one was 3/4" plywood and is shot. I'll be using it in salt water. I'm sure Trex Deck material :confused: is not as strong as marine grade plywood, but for a light application like mine, am thinking it may be OK.<br /><br />Any input would be appreciated!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Sterling

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Jon boat transom

cost. i use a 2x10 for my replacement transom.

sunderhill

Recruit

tashasdaddy,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. It is about $5 / linear foot I found out. <br /><br />What kind of 2 x 10 did you use for yours, Trex, solid wood, plywood?<br /><br />Thanks.

Pogo123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I build transoms from 3/4" Okouma Marine ply, epoxy them togther to make a 1 1/2" thick piece that's far tougher than any solid piece of wood.<br /><br />After cutting to shape, stained and coated in epoxy it will not only last indefinitely, but look good as well.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sunder,<br /><br />Based on the refernce of cost, me thinks Taddy used a 2 x 10 piece of lumber. Not Trex or Plywood but a 2 x 10. <br /><br />Remember one thing, nothing cheap is lasting. Do it right the first time and don't look back.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a 2x10 pieces of Southern Yellow Pine. fitted it, drill mounting holes, then 3 coats of good oil based paint, used marine sealer on all bolts, been there 5 years no problem. has 90 pound 15 hp rude hanging on it.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Trex is an interesting idea. You'll find that it flexes a bit and this might be worth considering before you use it.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Show boat, use the good stuff..."very old john boat" use the southern yellow. Strong enough and your just goin for the the cheap fix. It will look fine and be strong enough. Just don't do anything crazy like jump cruiser wake with it :D

sunderhill

Recruit

You guys are great--thanks for all the thoughts. <br /><br />Very old jon-boat, yes, but I found out some interesting history--seems like it may be somewhat of a gem. Called an "Aero-Line", it was made in the 50's/60's by a WWII aircraft float-plane designer using aircraft manufacturing techniques/materials/rivets. Definitely has that war-bird rivet look.<br /><br />Still in pretty good shape even after multiple add-ons, owners, and modifications.<br /><br />Thanks again.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to re-think this. Maybe you want to gussy this thing up a bit. Look at other projects, you may get inspired. After all what's a little plywoood cost :D !!!<br /><br /><br />Check this out Jon boat project <br /><br />Post some pics!!!

muddigger737

Cadet

I too would like to do something like this for my older 14 foot aluminum jon and could someone possibly post a picture of their work so i can see exactly how you attach this to the boat. thanks