Hole in Keel of Boat

Nick Russo

Recruit
I own a 1989 sunbird C.C I have a crack in the keek I opened it up it is about 12" long. I tried to fix it by butting glass mat in the hole & then glass cloth over that the inside was wet & it did not hold , What I want to do know is take off the floor take out the gas tank repair the hole from the inside with glass mat then cloth and then do the outside with mat & glass & finish with gel coat

I CANT SEND PICS AS I AM NOT HOME. WITHOUT OPENING A CAN OF WORMS CAN I DO THIS REPAIR FROM THE OUTSIDE ONLY. THANKS NICK

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Hole in Keel of Boat

I own a 1989 sunbird C.C I have a crack in the keek I opened it up it is about 12" long. I tried to fix it by butting glass mat in the hole & then glass cloth over that the inside was wet & it did not hold , What I want to do now is take off the floor take out the gas tank repair the hole from the inside with glass mat then cloth and then do the outside with mat & glass & finish with gel coat

I suspect this will turn into a much larger project once you open up the deck (floor), but yep, open the deck & do a proper repair in & out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's the Way to do it but...As JBC says, once you open her up, I'm bettin like he is, There's a whole bunch of "Worms" waitin for you under there!!!!:facepalm:

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Try to post some pictures so we can see what are you dealing with.

Nick Russo

Recruit

try to post some pictures so we can see what are you dealing with.

hi
i cant send pics because i am not home will be home in two months. Is there is another way to repair this hole without opening a can of worms. Can this be done from the outside?

Thanks nick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

welcome aboard

if its wet inside, you can not just patch it. you have to get the wet foam out. once in there, you will find the other issue (worms) is that the stringers and transom are most likely rotten.

post pics, we can help you restore it properly

Bondo

Staff member

hi
i cant send pics because i am not home will be home in two months. Is there is another way to repair this hole without opening a can of worms. Can this be done from the outside?

Thanks nick

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... You might be able to scab some sorta patch on the outside,...

But to Fix it, ya gotta go from the inside,...