need oboslete paint match

baldeagel

Recruit
hey guys I got a 1976 MFG gyspy 21 foot trihull cc, my problem is I cant fing the the paint seems no one makes or will make it up for I been a complete restore over 4 yrs just have paint and new rebuilt engine to complete I really need help I just got over stage 4 cancer so looking for decent deal also it called surfgreen Mfgb76021.jpg that my boat and color please help. Edit: sorry baldeagel but there is no personal information or emails permitted on iboats open forum for your safety. :joyous:

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: need oboslete paint match

Welcome to iBoats!
Are you sure it's paint and not Gelcoat?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I would suggest you redact your email address from your post Baldeagle, I'd never post mine in an open public forum....

You may need to custom mix paint to get it as close as you can to the correct color.

BTW: The boat is probably coated w/ gelcoat not paint.

Look thru SP's MFG resto:
'64 MFG Rebuild,

he custom blended paint for his project, and it turned out great. I don't know exactly what color surfgreen is, but SP's MFG certainly looks like what I'd consider surfgreen:
Before (gelcoat)
attachment.php

PAfter (paint)
DSC01629_zpsad94545b.jpg

He even found vinyl that is VERY VERY close to the paint color he mixed.......

Fun Times

Staff member

zool

Captain

hmmmm,no wonder no one makes or will make up that surf green color :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks JB, looks like we found the email about the same time. I googled his Mfgb76021 and came up with the link below as his color. http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/thumb/b/b0/Mfgb76021.jpg/772px-Mfgb76021.jpg

Well, you are most definitely handy to have around.:)

Surfgreen is NO WHERE NEAR SP's MFG color :facepalm:
772px-Mfgb76021.jpg

Suddenly I want a Martguerita on the rocks w/ a salt rim OR a Maker's Mark Mint Julip :D That's ^^^ a heck of a lot of lime/mint green

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The cheapest way might be to visit an automotive paint store (By telephone first) and ask if they have a paint matching computer and see if you can get a single stage enamel mixed. Your only other alternative is to change the color. Gelcoat will not be cheap for a 21' boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IF you want to paint it that color and don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the 2 part "Thane's" you can mix your own like Me and SPhelps did with Rustoleum or Valspar or Majic Oil based paints and then add the hardener. Using Some White and Green you could prolly get pretty close to that color by experimenting a bit. Once you figured out the formula it's easy to reproduce in batches and then you can do the Roll n' Roll method or Spray it! With the Hardener added it's a very durable paint. This will give you more info..."Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

baldeagel

Recruit

Well, you are most definitely handy to have around.:)

Surfgreen is NO WHERE NEAR SP's MFG color :facepalm:
772px-Mfgb76021.jpg

Suddenly I want a Martguerita on the rocks w/ a salt rim OR a Maker's Mark Mint Julip :D That's ^^^ a heck of a lot of lime/mint green

I love the color finishes off the boats personality and mine good boat got 5 yrs into her ,from the bulk heads tramson stingers foam is all new , I just rebuilt my org 1976 I6 with after 33plus years was still running but barely . anyways am not sure want to use gel coat,

Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

On my MFG I used an oil based Acrylic Enamel from the local Auto paint store matched to a chip from under the bow. That was for painting the interior.

If your talking about topsides, Have you first tried to buff out the old Gelcoat? My original Gelcoat buffed up real nice.MFG front.jpg

Last edited:

baldeagel

Recruit

I would try but one issue ,I had to many crack repairs and a big hole in cabin or budding is out , it gonna need a repaint . while I thank u all for the help u. was hoping someone would a decent price custom paint maker , another yr no paint :(

jbcurt00

Staff member

Were are you located & where is the boat. There's NO paint stores w/in an hours drive of you or the boat? Ace Hardware (if equipped) can custom tint their brand of Rustoleum (Rust-Stop I think) oil based enamel. You can order the hardener online.

You can find custom paint online, send them a color sample for them to match & hope for the best......

baldeagel

Recruit

am in houghton lake mich boat in back yard yes I tried but it 3 hrs to the nearest real city , all we got is home depot , I even tried searay to see if they could mix it since it close to sea ray green but unless am 50 gallons no help . I fiqure something out I b posting pics soon of the MFG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can use ANY alkyd oil based enamel paint. Most paint retailers will carry some type of this exterior paint. You can then purchase an acrylic enamel hardener and you're in business. A Gallon of Green and 2 quarts of White a pint of Yellow and a pint of Blue and you should be able to get really close to the color you're looking for.

Bondo

Staff member

am in houghton lake mich boat in back yard yes I tried but it 3 hrs to the nearest real city , all we got is home depot , I even tried searay to see if they could mix it since it close to sea ray green but unless am 50 gallons no help . I fiqure something out I b posting pics soon of the MFG

Ayuh,... HD carries Rustoleum,....

There's gotta be an auto parts house that sells automotive paints,..??
They'll mix any color of the rainbow,....
Check out the teal/ seafoam greens of the 1955, '56, '57 Chevy sedans, 'n hardtops,....