Can I use Topside paint to paint the bottom of my 15ft 1970 Renken Runabout?

georgiaboi22

Recruit
I have a 1970 Renken Runabout, I am working on restoring it. I have finished all the work besides starting the painting process. I was wondering if I could use topside paint to paint the bottom of the boat, as the boat is trailer hauled and will only be used 4-6 times a month, and never stays in the water over night. I also wanted to know how I should go about stripping the paint that is on it, and if it is better to roll the paint on or use air compressed spray gun. Also the boat is made of fiberglass. I would really appreciate some intellectual knowledge on the subject.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I use Topside paint to paint the bottom of my 15ft 1970 Renken Runabout?

Welcome to the Iboats Dry Dock...
Topside paint can get pricey and being on the bottom is bound to get some battle scars...
Check out this link by "Woodonglass"...
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...go-splashed-w-pics-384982-10.html#post3302799
Should give a good idea of what to do...
Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your build...we love to see others handy work...
GT1M:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Can I use Topside paint to paint the bottom of my 15ft 1970 Renken Runabout?

I have a 1970 Renken Runabout, I am working on restoring it. I have finished all the work besides starting the painting process. I was wondering if I could use topside paint to paint the bottom of the boat, as the boat is trailer hauled and will only be used 4-6 times a month, and never stays in the water over night. I also wanted to know how I should go about stripping the paint that is on it, and if it is better to roll the paint on or use air compressed spray gun. Also the boat is made of fiberglass. I would really appreciate some intellectual knowledge on the subject.

Is the boat painted now?

Pix of what you are working on would be helpful too,

Welcome to the iboats dry dock

georgiaboi22

Recruit

Hey thanks for the website. I'll check it out. Also the boat does have paint on it as of now, but it is scraped up a bit, and its not very nice looking and looks as if it has been on there around 10 yrs or so. I am not sure though. The guy I bought it from said he got it the way it was. I will try and get some pics added on here though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure it's paint and not Gelcoat? You can find out by soaking a rag in Acetone and placing it on the surface for about 5 mins. If the "Paint" wrinkles then indeed it is paint. If nothing happens then it's prolly Gelcoat.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks for the website. I'll check it out. Also the boat does have paint on it as of now, but it is scraped up a bit, and its not very nice looking and looks as if it has been on there around 10 yrs or so. I am not sure though. The guy I bought it from said he got it the way it was. I will try and get some pics added on here though.

:welcome:
You know we're gonna need to see pictures of the bottom paint, but we're gonna need to see what you've done to her so far as well! :photo:

Dry Dock to me is a lonely time except when I get on here. :grouphug: