Anyone eperienced with laminate Bulkers?

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased some nida core 3mm laminate bulker. Is there any special way to apply it? I plan to lay a layer of 22 oz cloth on the old laminate. Then add the bulker and top it with more 22 oz cloth. Can you double the bulker if need be? For example add 2 layers of 3 mil to make 6 mil? If so do you have to add a layer of class in between? I'm also using epoxy for this.

Thanks,

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone eperienced with laminate Bulkers?

Best way to apply is to use nidabond. Its a putty designed to bed the nida core in. Though you can bed it in wet CSM mat, I wouldn't just use resin to bed it. If I was going to use two layers I would put at least a 3/4oz CSM in between the layers to insure a good bond between the layers. I think you can just stack the layers but I would not trust the interlaminar shear strength (bond) unless I used nidabond or CSM. JMHO

Edit: I just read "epoxy" I am not well versed with epoxy so what I said was related to polyester and may not apply to epoxy. The CSM part for sure is wrong for epoxy. Don't even know if nidabond works with epoxy, Sorry, tried.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Why do you plan to use it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep me too, 3M says indicates it's used with CSM and that's primarily a Polyester based product as far as I can tell but, You asked for experienced guys and that leaves me out!!!! Sorry. Like ondarvr asks, what are you going to do with it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Core mat type products are basically just a sponge, they suck up resin and take up space in a laminate while offering little strength.

They tend to be used for two reasons.

1, To block the print of something deeper in the laminate to give a better surface profile on the mold side surface of the part being made.

2, Add some stiffness to a large flat surface that may not need more strength, just needs to be a little stiffer.

It tends to be a rather weak product which when stressed can fail, they aren't bad products, and in new construction they do have some good uses at times, but in repairs there's not much need for it.

Last edited: